Making good use of a tree stump.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickr

Reaction score
I have just completed my third carving. We have a tree at the bottom of the garden that was badly damaged in a storm, and I had to remove the remaining branches before the whole tree fell onto a neighbour's bungalow. Rather than taking the stump out I decided to try carving it. I do have 2 chainsaws but as yet I'm not confident enough to be on a ladder with one so I have used an angle grinder and a multi tool like a dremmel, and carving chisels. Nearing the end, looking on a social media site I saw an advert for a small electric chainsaw. Like an old fool I placed an order and then waited and waited, finally a piece of chain with a handle turned up, not quite what I ordered. Paypal say the supplier in China says it sent the goods and that's it. Now I have found out that they have to send something to get tracking information ( they can send anything) this is the latest scam from the east, Hopefully I've learned my lesson and will think more than twice next time.
I have attached a couple of picture's of the finished carving with finishing oil from Chestnut products. I got in touch with Chestnut and they recommended finishing oil, just brush it on ounce or twice a year. Hope you like it.

Attachments

• 20200916_180641.jpg
    20200916_180641.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 130
  • _20201103_131053.JPG
    _20201103_131053.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 127
Lovely work. Never in a million years would I attempt something like that.

As far as ebay is concerned, Item faulty or not as described, it's money back time.
How did you pay?

As far as ebay is concerned, Item faulty or not as described, it's money back time. How did you pay?

I saw exactly that on the TV a few days ago on one of those rip off progs. If you look on facebook the ads are all over it also ones like a tiny ride on excavator for £100 but they'll send you a cheap plastic toy. Apparently if they send nothing then it's classed as fraud so in this case it's very difficult to get redress. I'd still be pushing Paypal very hard though.

The old story if it looks too good to be true then it usually is.

I'm no lawyer, I don't even play one on TV.
But I'd have thought promising an electric chainsaw for £x and sending a chain and a handle instead would be fraud.

I'm no lawyer, I don't even play one on TV.
But I'd have thought promising an electric chainsaw for £x and sending a chain and a handle instead would be fraud.
Me neither Artie I'm just repeating what they said on the show but the bottom line was good luck getting money back from China, just remembered that one of the items sent in the scam was a little VW camper bus. As I said I'd still be pushing Paypal very hard especially given their promises ( the OP did mention Paypal in his original post).
Here's one of the Fac*book chainsaws including 2 batteries for £23. yeah that'll be right. Hopefully someone will pop up and say " I got one of those and it's fantastic" ;)
chainsaw.jpg

Last edited:
I actually misread two parts of the ops message so I think it's time to shut up.

Superb - excellent piece of work.

If you could carve the back of it too, just the bit above the fence, you could have some eyes prying into your neighbours garden just for fun 😂

Within the PayPal Resolution centre there is a claim called "Item not as described" should think this is what applies here, as an organised scam I am sure PayPal will be only to aware of it and possibly will balk if its as massive as these post's seem to suggest, but I have found PayPal to be honourable, the OP's money will still be in PayPal's account and wont have reached China for at least thirty days after his payment.

Fantastic piece of carving. I have a cherry tree about the same height as your tree, a project for the spring perhaps.

That is seriously good.
Like some others have said I would be asking paypal some hard questions. Not as described and fit for purpose are points to start with and does paypal see itself as the bagman for ripoff merchants.
I had a not as described item through ebay and after getting no joy with the suppiler paypal were quite quick returning the money. Their reputation is at stake and I think they mostly try to do the right thing.
Regards
John

Back