Making door canopy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marsaday

Reaction score
I am going to make a door canopy pretty similar to this Richard Burbidge design:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Richard-Burb ... %7Ciid%3A1

IF i use softwood the wood will cost about £20, but i want to make it in a harder wood.

I can buy the wood i need in a 44x44mm size and i think this will be ok for what i need. I will batten out the roof with roof lats and tile with slate to finish.

So my question is what wood should i go for out of my preferred supplier which is British Hardwoods in West Yorkshire (near to where i am).
They do oak, beech and american ash.

The amount i need is approx 11m of 44x 44mm wood. Oak will cost £115, beech £98 and Ash £85.

I would just oil the wood with linseed oil. It will get some weather, but it will be the bits on the outside edges which get the worst of the rain.

Or would just pressure treated soft be ok ?

Beech and Ash are terrible external timbers, go for Oak, African hardwood like Sapele or Iroko or a Softwood. Pressure treated would work fine but doesn't look particularly nice.

I'm making a canopy as well, Im going to use construction softwood timber that I get for free.
I would definitely not use linseed oil outdoors, furry fluffy mold will star growing, at least thats my experience with it. Some kind of wood preserver or decking oil would be much better.
The only thing I’m worried is the timber that contacts the wall, the moisture build up there. Maybe the side that directly contacts the wall needs to be painted with masonry pain or something?

Maybe use treated timber then.

Oak seems expensive, but i know it is high quality.

I use linseed oil on my garden cabin and it has no problems.

Make the stuff you can see out of oak, and the rest out of treated softwood. This means the arched braces, the verticals on the wall, the ties/ plates (on top of the braces), and the plate across the front. The rest, do in softwood. You are pricing for green oak, aren't you? Not seasoned stuff. It would be utterly pointless using seasoned timber . And if you use oak, you know you've got to make proper joints. Nothing else works.

Back