Making Bedroom storage* First Attempt*

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Markymark

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

After completing my first home office. I want to make some units for a walk in wardrobe various openings. Firstly I need to know a little about working with melamine. Types of melamine. Sizes and density etc... How to cut and how best to join to make stable units.

I would be very grateful for any help from experienced kitchen/ Bedroom furniture makers.

Mark

Egger is probably the best quality board to use for carcases and they have the biggest range of colours and finishes. Don't use the 15mm furniture panels that you get from the sheds. If you have a decent track saw with a new blade - I'm guessing you don't have a panel saw with a scoring unit or you wouldn't be asking - then you can cut mfc although you might still get some chipping. Some people have had success scoring with a track saw by pulling the saw with a depth of cut of 1 or 2mm and then doing a full depth cut. TBH, for mfc, I'd use a company like http://www.cutwrights.com to cut and edgeband the panels for you as egger only comes in jumbo panels - 2800 x 2070mm. For joining, depends on the design and what equipment you have - biscuits, dominos, carcase screws, confirmat screws, minifix cam fittings or a combination.

HTH,

Steve

Thanks

Some great information. I will take a look and do some costings.

Mark

Back