Making A Wooden Straight Edge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the tutorial, custard, especially the commentary and tip about rounding the back side of the edges so that you can identify that it's not a piece of random sticking.

I've got some expensive straight edges, but don't often use them not due to their cost, but due to their weight.

bugbear":2b5ty4va said:
AJB Temple":2b5ty4va said:
Nice thread. Just for interest, there is a very good section in The Anarchist's Tool Chest book (highly recommended by the way) which may be where Custard gets his reference to putting a curved top on so as to expose more end grain and achieve better stability.

I think this notion may have originated with the curved sides of wooden coffin bodied smoother planes.

I've seen the claim a few times, but never any evidence.

BugBear

Interesting thought on coffin smoothers with the exposed grain. I think it's pretty far from certain, as you imply - finding a piece of quarter or rift sawn wood that's sawn with the pith on center would be a lot more important.

I'd assume the shape has more to do with comfort and making a two handed plane that fits in the web of a hand (there is no comfort with a square billet of wood).

Thanks Custard :D I've been thinking about making a 3'-4' wooden straight-edge lately as my two (cheap) metal straight edges are both visibly wonky #-o

Out of interest Custard, would ply be suitable for a wooden straight edge? It's stable and already comes with straight face that you could further tidy up...

I'm still using my oak one that was inspired by this thread, it's been a lifesaver many times!

Back