Making a tap for wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quick update on this.

After playing about with some more experiments, using different scraps of wood and different sized preliminary holes, I found I was getting a very sloppy fit. This is the reason why:

handscrew19.jpg

I'd made the tap 1/16" of an inch oversized. :oops:

So, it was back to the lathe, being pleased that I hadn't changed the way it was set up, or removed the end holes in the tap. A few passes with a file while the work was spinning removed enough material from the diameter, but that left teeth that were too shallow. I managed to line up a cutter, with the leadscrew set to work at the right tpi, and follow the original angle close enough. I really don't think I would have been able to do this with a powered lathe or a finer thread. As it was, I was able to pull the lathe round by hand, scraping away on one side of the thread, to deepen the teeth.

handscrew20.jpg

A few passes and it felt like it would work, and it does.

handscrew21.jpg

handscrew25.jpg

Sharp eyed readers will notice the addition of a cross-bar and retaining screw as well.

Now I could use the tap and box combo to make something, but I'll put that in the Projects, as it's wood, not metal.

A simpler way (lazy me) is to use over size round bar.
suppose you want a one inch tap. 25mm
use a 1 and a half inch round bar, mark the centre and scribe a 7/8 inch circle.
centre pop a few times around this scribed circle then drill holes. 4 equidistant is about right. Hole size not really critical 1/4 to 3/8 about right.
Now turn down the bar to 1 inch, you have your flutes and because the centres are inside the 1 inch diameter they will be a bit off set and will give a good cutting edge.
Cut your thread.. and you have a tap with not too much work.

suggest you make a wooden dummy one first to get the feel of what happens.

regards

hope this is of use to you

Thanks for the suggestion, but in this case I was also looking for something I could make with a bit of steel from the assortment of oddments I already have. Not always the easiest option and I didn't explain that in the original post.

Back