Making a table saw rip fenc

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oaktree11

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Well, the more I get into the new/old saw I bought ( a Canadian King KC-10RC - see other threads) the more I think it’s going to be a great workshop saw so I want to invest in a good fence. Some while ago I invested in Steve Maskery’s excellent Workshop Essentials DVD’s. They taught me a lot and I really like the rip fence described in episode 10 and which has been discussed here before.
I am struggling to find a supplier of steel at a reasonable cost and without buying a ton of steel that I won’t need!
I want to make the rail on the saw and the cross fence out of 50 x 50 x 3 square tube. The DVD suggests 50 x 25 for the cross fence but it means I can just buy one tube, I need 1.2m for the saw rail and 900mm for the cross fence.
I would be interested in any comments about suitability of 50 x 50 for the cross fence and does anyone know of a diy friendly supplier? I am in Cheddar Somerset but will travel.
thanks for the help
John

Ok, I found a supplier who was excellent. Really good choice of steel, great website and free national delivery over £100, they are Austen Knapman, in the SW.
i ordered the steel online on Friday, it arrived on Tuesday.
here is what I have done so far…fitted the heavy angle which forms the mount for the 5mm 50 x 50 tube then drilled clearance holes in the angle and tapped holes in the tube and mounted the tube. I have made the angle iron saddle which the 50 x 75mm fence will be bolted to. next step is to drill and tap the fence retaining holes in the angle and mount the fence and the locking clamp. It’s coming on nicely!
23DB2D1D-478F-494B-B08E-88C684F57AE6.jpeg
7569EF30-BC9C-47A9-8960-1F31AC53B7C4.jpeg
23DB2D1D-478F-494B-B08E-88C684F57AE6.jpeg
5DBA4BCD-8B5D-42AC-B70B-166A5F164CD8.jpeg
F4BF8BB5-CBDC-40AB-B6F2-F2627DDB58D0.jpeg
F0250E10-0848-4F4A-B78A-2FC13AA41E14.jpeg

You've certainly made a good job of it, Oaktree; but should a rip-fence extend beyond the leading edge of the saw blade? Or will you only use it for dimensioning?

You've certainly made a good job of it, Oaktree; but should a rip-fence extend beyond the leading edge of the saw blade? Or will you only use it for dimensioning?
Hi there, thanks for the input But not quite sure what you mean. The fence covers the whole width of the table? This of course is just the skeleton spine and I will fabricate a wood “cover” for it When I have decided on a design. John

Back