Making a Steinway grand piano , interesting 9 minute video.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
devonwoody":rkt7erhk said:
How do you open the video please

Hi DW
I have edited your link above to display the video.
(you accidentally included a timestamp in your link which told the video to start at the end, so it hopped to the next video)

It would have been enjoyable to watch if I could have heard the commentary which was drowned out by the piano music!!!
John

thanks for the extra interest, my own playing is limited to a Tyros 4 electronic keyboard and I am known as a thumper.

Not so very different to UK really, except (detail):

There was a full (Televised) meeting of our "main national govt" (Bundesrat") yesterday, complete with health & science advisors, in which for all 26 Kantons (i.e. the whole country) exactly the same will apply throughout - MOST unusual here says my (Swiss) wife! I've certainly never experienced it before after almost 30 years here.

No schools open, only food & medicine shops allowed to open, no bars, hotels, restaurants open, no sports meetings, and hospitals only doing "urgent" stuff. Also no "group meetings" so, for example for me, no more choir practice nor Physio in the hospital. It's "homework" only! And it all lasts at least until 19/20 April, but by the sound of things, I expect that it may well go longer than that.

NO border crossings (either way) except for those with a proven job on the other side and who can also prove they're not sick.

I was out yesterday (had too, to return some medical gear to the hospital that SWMBO had needed for some tests she was undergoing over the weekend) and at the same time bought a tank full of petrol (tank was less than quarter full, so NOT panic buying!). Plus some food (again, NOT panic buying, just general replenishments).

Streets were VERY quiet, but apart from some gaps on the shop shelves (specific brands of a particular item, not complete items) and the "leave space between customers" 2M lines painted at the checkouts, everything was just about normal. But no DIY shops open though (I need some more contact adhesive, ran out yesterday!) but the garage was just normal, no big queues, AND lower price/litre than recently too.

So here, people seem to be taking it sensibly in the main. And I can well understand - for example - no Physio in hospital for me - keep the place prepped and as free as poss for those that will need help urgently.

So all in all, my reaction is as before - the Govt is doing all that can be reasonably expected. Military on stand by to help with stuff such as hospital cleaning & basic nursing (they have a fully trained and equipped emergency mobile military hospital too); rubbish clearing, logistics, etc - nothing at all weaponised.

We ourselves are, as before, being cautious but definitely not panicking. About the only difference from now on apart from the above is that instead of going for our big shop together about once a week, just one of us will do it (Guess who's drawn the short straw? But being a bit younger and a bit fitter, I am slightly less at risk - I hope!). Oh, and of course, no crossing into Deutschland for the cheaper food prices!

Longer term, there'll be no holiday or travel until at least late this year for us, perhaps even next year. Who knows?

A bit of a pity though, 'cos we didn't have a holiday together last summer because SWMBO wasn't so well, then decided to go away for Xmas, but then my back with corset - "and, and, and".

Ah well, "it is what it is". But no grounds for panic, just caution - and although it's been said in a sarcastic way on another thread here, just "don't panic, keep calm, and carry on" (with due precautions) is, IMO, not at all bad advice.

Thanks for asking - how's sunny Devon? You must be near Kingswear, no?

Thanks for a very straight reply and your modesty on all points. Janet and I are living much the same but did have our 64th wedding anniversary last week. We live in Devon as you stated and have not had to consider holidays much these days because down here in the SW Hello devonwoodywe think it is a lovely area to live. We have got the English channel and a number of beautiful estuaries to always admire.
Woodwork for me has also gone into my retirement program, (in fact only this morning I offered our eldest grandson my collection of hand tools after he posted some oak matching photo frames he made). Reason for my retirement re woodwork is concentration is very difficult to control when hand working for me these days.
Janet and wish all members here and everywhere a safe and good outcome to the present condition in this world at this time.
Janet & John.

Some how this posting got repeated.

Thanks for a very straight reply and your modesty on all points. Janet and I are living much the same but did have our 64th wedding anniversary last week. We live in Devon as you stated and have not had to consider holidays much these days because down here in the SW we think it is a lovely area to live. We have got the English channel and a number of beautiful estuaries to always admire.
Woodwork for me has also gone into my retirement program, (in fact only this morning I offered our eldest grandson my collection of hand tools after he posted some oak matching photo frames he made). Reason for my retirement re woodwork is concentration is very difficult to control when hand working for me these days.
Janet and wish all members here and everywhere a safe and good outcome to the present condition in this world at this time.
Janet & John.

Back