Making a sound proof door?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flanajb

Established Member
Reaction score
Our bedroom door is a cheap Howdens special and being a light sleep I am very easily waken. The culprit is usually the 19 year old Daughter coming in at 4am.

So I was wondering whether I could make a sound proof door. If anyone has any ideas as to the best construction then I would be very interested.

I did think a door made of solid lead would be ideal, but I don't think the frame will support the weight.

Blister":2kvq7l5r said:
How about the custom made ear plugs that bikers use
I have tried sleeping with ear plugs and I cannot get used to them.

could you inject expanding foam into the existing one- would keep the weight down

Blister":2ju80jt6 said:
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sound+proof+doors&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a#q=sound+proof+doors&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=yRV&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&prmd=imvns&source=lnt&tbs=ctr:countryUK|countryGB&cr=countryUK|countryGB&sa=X&ei=kmEJT4D6Asb_8QOsxvGlAQ&ved=0CEwQpwUoAQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=351eb755308496d&biw=1865&bih=1051

lots of info here

or make a soundproofed door from the materials available
Ok, ok. I know I should have done a google search before posting :oops:

DIY Stew":16wjyn84 said:
How about taking her key off her!

Stew
Don't get me wrong. Eviction as been on my mind since she was 14! Fingers crossed it won't be too long now

start saving
a helping hand with a deposit for their first home gets them out the door quicker.
best of luck
paul-c

It's the air gaps that cause sound to penetrate most easily.

If the door is the 'cardboard mesh' core variety, you probably will need something heavier, but more important is to put some sort of seal round the stop bead and under the door. Even the cheap neoprene draught excluder will make a big difference. If you have bare floorboards (with gaps between) in the bedroom and on the landing, you won't make a substantial difference no matter what you do to the door, as the sound will get through that way.

That said, if she's banging the front door at 2AM, it's unlikely that any amount of door soundproofing will help, as the bang will be transmitted through the structure of the house.

Sorry,

E.

A good shouting at resolved most of our 18 year old coming in at stupid hours noise, plus the threat of having to look after her 18 month old sister if she woke her up at 2 am.

Some times a bit of consideration is the only fix.

Have you thought about using a cheap firedoor?

I've found that if you then put a doorstop on and use draught excluder all around it can make quite a difference.

(Remember to make sure you can still hear your smoke alarm though).
HTH
Jon

Back