Making a router table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yorkshire Sam

Established Member
Reaction score
I have often looked at making a router table and have read several accounts of folks who have. While I have a router ( and admit I really don't use it that often) I am considering making a table as a project but what has held me back is that one of my queries that never seem to get answered is to what type of router can be use? Will any router be capable of being used or is it only certain types?

ie is any router 'convertible'?

The manufacturers will tell you that only certain ones can be used in tables, due to dust ingress. Neither of mine should be used in tables, apparently. They're both been used in tables without any problems for 25 or 30 years.

You can make a router table in its simplest form from 2 bits of sheet material such as MDF. It won’t be as quick or easy to adjust as a bought table but it will be every bit as accurate and effective.

THIS is what I have in router table; very good, smooth and has plenty power

You need a half inch chuck to do a proper job :)

Leave it in the table -- I use a car jack from Machine Mart to raise and lower

I made mine from a scrap piece of MFC and a bit of 2x4 for the fence, a few screws and a few bolts. It works great with my little 1/4" Katsu router which I highly doubt is meant to be used in a table.

If you set up some reasonable dust extraction (which you want anyway) then I am sure any router will work fine.

My current router table ( the Mk4 version), is all home made, the Mk5 will be as well, each one gets better with more features. Although I have purchased the UJK router fence because its far more accurate than anything I could make.

A 1/2" router is much better in a table than a 1/4" simply because the 1/2" router can also take any 1/4" cutter as well.

Buying the plate is a simple way out, but can be expensive. I can NOT recommend Kreg plates, I've had two and they have both warped. I now have an incra plate, and I wish I'd splurged the extra money 4 years ago.

Dust extraction is important, a router throws dust for miles in all directions without it.

After seeing the one that Andy Mac made on YouTube last night, that's the direction I'm going in. I too don't have room for a permanent table and his solution just stores away ready to be deployed.

Spent a little time at work last night recreating it in sketchup as I had nothing better to do!

https://youtu.be/ozVFYf9IYbA

I realise that space is an issue for you, but just for anyone else who comes across this thread at a later date, I would definitely recommend Norm Abram's DeLuxe design. Any BriMarc stockist should have them. It is the best I have seen, and I've been around the block a time or two. The only reason I've never published a RT design myself is because I can't better his.
Yes, I've improved on the fence, and that was published, and I think his DX design is poor, and I've improved one aspect of that. But the basic design is excellent and I would make it again in a heartbeat.

And +1 for the Incra plate. Pricey, yes, but you only buy it once and there was thread on here only recently where several of us bemoaned that we'd had many disappointments before biting the bullet. A bit like frogs and princesses, really :)

DBT85":1f6lshlx said:
After seeing the one that Andy Mac made on YouTube last night, that's the direction I'm going in. I too don't have room for a permanent table and his solution just stores away ready to be deployed.

Spent a little time at work last night recreating it in sketchup as I had nothing better to do!

https://youtu.be/ozVFYf9IYbA

Both of mine fold away. One keeps the router permanently attached, the other doesn't. Both have a simple home made built-in lift/ adjuster, with absolutely no need for an expensive plate.

MikeG.":1fceok3s said:
Both of mine fold away. One keeps the router permanently attached, the other doesn't. Both have a simple home made built-in lift/ adjuster, with absolutely no need for an expensive plate.
Sounds not dissimilar to his one. Though he didn't bother with a lift as his router is very easy to adjust it seems.

I have the Hitachi M12v2 router in my router table.
Its a reasonable price, very powerful and has an easy threaded adjustment for raising and lowering the router.
Albeit beneath the table.

Before I had to stop working for this infection, I found I could get along well with my Trend 'RouterRack' system. There is a table with this set up, but the aperture is only about 60mm diameter and so restricts the 'throw'.

However I much prefer using the router upright and will often make a jig, rather than set up a table, for which I don't have the space to be honest.

My routers are Elu 177e and a Festool 1400 (I think!) plus two 1/4" Elu MOFs that still function perfectly.

I have enough enough routers and I am happy thanks. Of course I don't know about you! :D

Cheers John (hammer)

Back