• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Making a model plough plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

IWW

Established Member
Reaction score
I got a bee in my bonnet a little while ago & started making miniature tools, just for the challenge. The most ambitious one to date is a half-sized plough plane based on one I acquired about 30 years ago. It came to me in very rough shape, and someone has removed all traces the maker's stamp, but from its lines & construction, I'm fairly sure it's a Sandusky, a well-respected brand in North America. The wood is definitely a Dalbergia of some sort, presumably Brazilian rosewood:

1 original.jpg

When I got it, it was in very poor shape, with one fence arm broken beyond repair. I eventually figured out a way to make a new one & re-furbished it to a good working plane but that's a story on its own.

Although it looks smaller, my miniaturised version is actually half-scale, though I took a few small liberties with some parts. For example the screw for the depth-stop mechanism should be ~3mm to make it half the diameter of the original, but I judged that a bit too flexible (the locking screw presses against the shaft of the screw to lock it in position) so I made it 4mm. The original is cast as a single piece, but I had to fabricate the model by riveting the sole-plate to a section cut from 5mm steel:

2 a Depth stop full & half size.jpg

Of course rosewood is now unobtainable, so I used a wood with the colloquial name of 'western rosewood' (Acacia rhodoxylon). It's one of several (quite unrelated) species in Aus. with 'rosewood' in their name, and could pass for a species of Dalbergia if you don't look too closely. It is hard & dense & takes a very high polish like the Dalbergia rosewoods.

Construction of the body was tedious and exacting, but presented no special problems. I did make a mock-up from a more easily-worked wood to make sure I could chop out the mortises for the depth-stop & blade & form the indented rebate for the skate with sufficient accuracy:

2 b depth stop.jpg

That was pretty straightforwad, so I moved to the real thing, which should have been straightforward too, except that in a moment of mental aberation, I made a saw-cut on the wrong side when cutting the repbate for the skate! I was about to start over, but as I'd already invested quite a bit of work in it, I decided to just fill the saw-cut with a "speed stripe" & tell everyone it was intentional: :rolleyes:

4 blooper.jpg

Making the fence was my biggest concern when I started. The original arms are 7/8" diameter, so I should have made the model's 7/16". However, that would have meant making up a new tap & thread-cutting jig so I opted for 1/2", for which I had the appropriate gear. I reasoned the compensation for the "error" would be somewhat stiffer arms that would make the plane more usable.

Making & threading the arms was fairly easy. I decided to add some bling in the spirit of the more expensive Sanduskys & made ivory tips for the arms. The "ivory" is actually so-called "vegetable ivoty" (Tagua nut).. Because of the large voids in the nuts, you can only get small pieces, but I was able to cut pieces just large enough from a large nut. These were tapped, screwed onto a 4mm mandrel, & turned to shape. The mandrel was then cut shorter & glued into the ends of the arms:

6 fence rod tips.jpg

Making the body of the fence was a bit easier than I'd anticipated. I sawed off as much waste as possible :

8 Fence a.jpg

Then finished with planes & a scraper shaped to the profile (notice how some of my other miniatures come in handy for such a job :) ):

9 Fence refining.jpg

A. rhodoxylon scrapes beautifully being a hard 'oily' wood & the result is pretty close, though I did leave out one fillet, which I decided was too ridiculously small to manage without risk of ruining the whole job:

10 Fences cf.jpg

Finally, the nuts: I only had one small piece of genuine boxwood (Buxus) so I used a local species of tree which has very fine-grained, white wood & turns & threads very well. It's a little stark when freshly-minted, rather like lemon wood, but I'm hoping it will mellow in time & look a bit more like boxwood:

13 Nuts cf.jpg
The boxwood nut on the left was made at least 30 years ago & is probably as dark as it's going to get. I might try giving the mini nuts a bit of chemical help sometime (after careful experimentation on scraps!)

(Run out of picture allowance - see part 2)

Last edited:

IWW

Established Member
Reaction score
Part 2:

I summoned all of my limited metal-working skills & made a 3 & a 5mm iron from some 1080 steel, & hardened the tips:

15 Wedge & blades.jpg

Finally, after a bit of fettling which mostly involved levelling the skate, I took it for a test drive:

Done & working.jpg

It's not the most comfortable plane to hold onto, but works remarkably well & will be quite ok for the small jobs it will be likely to be called on to do.

Here it is beside the original:

18 sizes cf.jpg

And posing for a final portrait:

Done.jpg

I'm told our 20c coin is the same diameter ~28mm) as your 10p....

All in all, quite the fun project, apart from the moment of anguish when I realised I'd made that wrong saw-cut. However, my 'fix' does add a bit of bling, which is in the Sandusky spirit, even if not strictly "correct"...
;)
Cheers,
Ian

Cabinetman

Established Member
Reaction score
Looks beautifully made Ian, that vegetable/nutcutlet imitation ivory is interesting, trouble is over here people would assume it was the real thing and have you locked up lol. Ian

IWW

Established Member
Reaction score
Looks beautifully made Ian, that vegetable/nutcutlet imitation ivory is interesting, trouble is over here people would assume it was the real thing and have you locked up lol. Ian
Dunno Ian - it does look pretty convincing, it even has the lines of genuine ivory, caused by lines of tiny pores. It's quite a bit softer & easier to turn than the real thing, but it's limitation is the small size of the pieces you can cut out of a nut. Quite ok for models & little stuff, & I reckon there'd be several ways to prove it's vegetable & not animal, so you shouldn't stay locked-up for too long if you try some....
:D
Cheers,