Making a Mallet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G S Haydon

Established Member
Reaction score
Mallet.JPG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6PKxjWVxyc

I've wanted to make a mallet for a while to replace my Narex and I found a bit of time to take the project forward so I raided the scrap bin and found a bit of ash for the handle and iroko for the head. I like this style of mallet for no other reason than I'm very familiar with it and like the feel in use.

Ash is a great timber for tool handles as it absorbs shocks and has a degree of flex. Well worth considering for a tool like a mallet. The head is iroko but for no other reason that it's dense and was to hand. Even though I was using short ends hand tools worked well to reduce the amount of waste or the need to make jigs to safely make cuts on a machine. I'd never turn my back on machines, I'm not mental, but it was a benefit here.

Even though a mallet is simple it's amazing how much detail and work goes into making a nice example. I'm pleased with the results and I look forward to using it. I'll most likely make some custom chisel handles next.

Attachments

• Mallet.JPG
    Mallet.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 1,593
Thanks all! It's good to know the vid comes over well. My arm wishes the rip saw was a bandsaw lol!

liamscanlan":12syq7ml said:
I always enjoy your videos on YouTube. They just get better and better! I really appreciate your efforts!

Seconded!

I am jealous of your Silverline plane, though. I had to re-grind bits of the frog to get mine to work!

That video is great...I was going to buy a mallet, but you've given me some inspiration and I think I'll try to make one.

Thanks Liam, glad you enjoy them!

Cheers Jake, I was lucky(ish). The thing is for £13.00 I don't mind taking a couple of hours to get it working well. If it cost £25.00 I'm not sure I'd bother.

focusonwood nice! I don't think I can do decent "how-to" vids quite yet but if you found inspiration after watching then that makes me feel pretty happy.

Good video Graham, they're getting better and better. Good delivery, clear and concise and entertaining :D
Mind you, if you keep on with that saw you'll end up with arms like Arnold Squeezemtighter :lol:

Don't you find the angle it's cut at a too extreme? (I'm searching for a better word) - I made mine and it's perfectly comfortable, but it's nowhere near as angled as that. I'll try to post a photo, but having never taken a digital photo let alone posted one I live in hope. Even my phone only phones. :oops:

Hi Philip, thanks for asking. It's about 5deg, the photos might make it look more. That seems to be the same as the narex I have and was pretty good to use.

Back