Making a jewelry box, a real frightener

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I would have made a zero clearance insert for the spline cutting but otherwise its OK by me.

Bob (who has 8 fingers and two thumbs in real life despite the screen name)

Did I see right, was he skimming the wood over the blade?

Edit. Just watched it again, and yes he was. :shock: What an silly person.

I would have rigged up a second fence for the coving, for the piece to run through the middle, and used push blocks.

Si.

'Murrican...'nuff said. I only watched the first pass over the blade and that was enough...but looking on the bright side, he was wearing ear muffs! - Rob

Ok so out of interest how would you lot cut an asymmetric cove with average home workshop kit? eg no spindle.
He points out the short coming with his saw - I'd have just put in a smaller blade. Maybe he did not have one.
Push blocks maybe but not with his early part depth passes and the stock was long enough to stay well clear on the blade - even though he did not always make use of the length.

Bob

9fingers":72rtzzkd said:
Ok so out of interest how would you lot cut an asymmetric cove with average home workshop kit?

I don't have a table saw or a spindle. I would do it with hand tools - various planes and scrapers. Or possibly modify a wooden plane by shaping the sole and blade to give the correct profile. Not that difficult really.

Good example here, by Rob, of the modified wooden plane method a-new-line-for-philly-t40712.html

Cheers :wink:

Paul

9fingers":3opxzrib said:
Ok so out of interest how would you lot cut an asymmetric cove with average home workshop kit? eg no spindle.
He points out the short coming with his saw - I'd have just put in a smaller blade. Maybe he did not have one.
Push blocks maybe but not with his early part depth passes and the stock was long enough to stay well clear on the blade - even though he did not always make use of the length.

Bob

Don't get me wrong, I am not a great fan of health & safety but I thought what he was doing had serious potential to end in tears.

I think the most dangerous bit was him hovering over the blade whilst holding the wood. If I had to do it I probably would have cut the waste from the cove in multiple passes so I could then cove it in one pass using push blocks and raising the blade until it was the right depth.

He says his saw blade did not retract enough to creep up on it and that was the real problem.

Mick

I can't see much wrong with it really, it's certainly nothing I haven't seen before from the states, not seen it done over here.
His fingers were a bit close at times to the blade viewed from the camera angle which might deceive a bit maybe. Another board clamped on the other side to create a channel would have been a bit better and a couple of small strips to raise the workpiece to start the process, but apart from that.........................................

I'm surprised that you don't find that a tad scary Bob...... #-o

He's using a crappy tablesaw, in his driveway, with no guards whatever....he's holding the wood in mid-air with no support, running the stock over it in a manner for which it was not intended....his fingers pass over the saw blade at least two or three passes....

The worst thing of all is he is teaching this practice to others! :shock:

He must have run the titles over his jig....he seems to have lost two of the letters in jewellery too!

I'm surprised that in a country run by lawyers, he hasn't had his donkey sued yet either! :mrgreen:

Jim

9fingers":3hbec38f said:
giving ideas to encourage others to make stuff.

I think I would have worded that differently, Bob. Something like: "giving ideas to encourage others to have nasty accidents, like losing their fingers or hands."

I don't use a table saw but his method of working looked very dangerous to me........

Paul

Jim,

I'm not a fan of guards especially when they get in the way or give reduced visibility of what is happening.
You won't find a riving knife or a guard on my table saw. Both severely limit the range of tasks the machine can do.
That is my choice, I carry the can and I do not suggest others follow my example.

I do agree though flimsy saws are much more risky than a lump of cast iron.
As for suing his donkey, it seems to me that the American way is that individuals take responsibility for their own actions.
He has some warnings on the video and he points out the issues.

Bob

Paul Chapman":3te0yyrs said:
9fingers":3te0yyrs said:
giving ideas to encourage others to make stuff.

I think I would have worded that differently, Bob. Something like: "giving ideas to encourage others to have nasty accidents, like losing their fingers or hands."

I don't use a table saw but his method of working looked very dangerous to me........

Paul

I'm with you on this one Paul....I've seen some stooopid things in my time but this one takes the finger biscuit!!!

:mrgreen:

I'll be hugely surprised if he doesn't get sued....and there must be loads of other ways to make that coving that are perfectly safe...

I sometimes think that these things are set up deliberately to get viral attention...some sort of YouTube Darwinism. :roll:

Jim

9fingers":brrwvcbx said:
Jim,

I'm not a fan of guards especially when they get in the way or give reduced visibility of what is happening.
You won't find a riving knife or a guard on my table saw. Both severely limit the range of tasks the machine can do.
That is my choice, I carry the can and I do not suggest others follow my example.

I do agree though flimsy saws are much more risky than a lump of cast iron.
As for suing his donkey, it seems to me that the American way is that individuals take responsibility for their own actions.
He has some warnings on the video and he points out the issues.

Bob

Guards can be made not to obscure and you only really need them once in a while I must admit! :wink: :mrgreen:

Riving knife...depends if you are only cutting grooves it might be excusable but otherwise I would humbly suggest that this is one thing you should not remove...not that it's not of course your choice but since you are a good mate I wouldn't want you to reduce your ability to help us all out on the mechanical side anytime soon! :wink:

Jim

Back