Making a homemade forge, does anyone have any reccomendations for a suitable blowtorch?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update.

I got a Devil Forge thing from Poland ( very nice guys, prompt and the item looks good) only i wondered what specific gas and size container I should get in order to use it effectively?

That was my experience with a blow torch fired home made forge. I did get it to temperature but it wasn't even everywhere alongth the length so I would have ended up with areas not hardened. So it went in the bin and I bought a small Devil Forge instead.
Illy, what gas and size of bottle do you use with your Devil Forge?

Illy, what gas and size of bottle do you use with your Devil Forge?
I don't use the forge an enormous amount so I just have a 5kg bottle. If you are going to be busy you can go to any size if you have the room for it - they certainly supply up to 47kg. It's just a normal propane bottle such as those used in caravans, boats, patio heaters etc.

I don't use the forge an enormous amount so I just have a 5kg bottle. If you are going to be busy you can go to any size if you have the room for it - they certainly supply up to 47kg. It's just a normal propane bottle such as those used in caravans, boats, patio heaters etc.
Thanks very much for the reponse. What gas are you using?

It's
It looks like getting hold of gas might be an issue. Ive looked everywhere locally and theres beggar all!
It's all these staycationers using their caravans !! Do you know any caravanners with no trips planned in the short term ?

I assume the roofing companies doing torch on roofing are like ours and have 20lb propane tanks to feed their 500,000 BTU torches. Where do they get them filled? Maybe call one and ask.

Pete

You can get the T torches new on the Bay or Alibaba. I got mine for less than I could buy the bits here and it's SS304. Bricks not good for above reason, blanket is excellent.

I dont associate with those kinds of people :)
Agreed but if you see a caravan on someone's drive which doesn't look like it has moved, they might be happy to sell you the bottle. Sourcing gas will be easier if you don't need to buy a bottle ?

It's
It's all these staycationers using their caravans !! Do you know any caravanners with no trips planned in the short term ?

That's surprising.
I can see a petrol station out of my office window with at least 8 in its little cage. if it helps, patio gas is propane with a funny regulator fitting on the cylinder.
go outdoors had it in stock in Warrington a few weeks ago when my FIL needed a pair of bottles for the campervan.
they are replaced rather than filled on site so having a bottle isn't going to make a whole heep of difference.

Back