Making a desk with folding legs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trigger365

Reaction score
Hi all,

Total newbie here, so apologies for a couple of things first:

1. Some terminology
2. How rubbish an idea this may be

Ok, so what I want to achieve is a desk (just been told we're working from home another 5 months minimum!) that folds away and can be stored out of the way instead of using the kitchen desk all the time.

My (basic and probably terrible) idea is to create a desk top (old worktop from my mum) and 2 "H frame" table legs that fold inward. I've attached a basic drawing but I have a few questions and was hoping helpful souls out there can lend a hand. My questions are...

1. What type of wood should I use for the legs? Is CLS ok or should i opt for a harder wood?
2. The hinges that I want to use are table leg folding brackets - from Amazon (cant link yet) - are these ok to use?
3. When the legs fold inward I obviously want to make sure that they both sit "flat" on the underside of the desk which makes me think that I need to make them different sizes (the legs)? Is that correct, or is there a better way to do this?

I want the finished article to be around 750 tall hence the very basic measurements.

If you notice any other major flaws please let me know.

Its a project I want to take on myself, my mum has all the tools I would need I think, but I want to make sure I get the fundementals right before even attempting to start buying anything.

Thanks for any help, much appreciated. If anyone wants to do it instead and lives in Cornwall I can pay in Cider and hugs :p

Attachments

• IMG_7140.jpg
    IMG_7140.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 33
Or....Get two trestles and a flat cheap door from a DIY shed and Voila!

Strong, easy to take down. Use in summer for outdoor eating. Or as a workbench post lockdown.

Thanks for the reply

I had a look at "quick" type approach but really wanted to have a crack at this over Christmas as like a mini project so I had the worktop there (perfect size as am limited on space) and the folding legs is pretty much a must because the missus has decided so :D

I just thought custom making something now would give me a good push to have a go at more projects in the future (this is my first foray into any kind of Woodworking DIY!)

Can it be located so that it can be folded against the wall.

That way you only need hinges on the rear of the top and two front legs to fold. This may be more stable as the rear edge will be positively held against the wall.

Either way, be aware that if the legs fold in towards the centre that they need to be offset in some way as they will hit each other when you try to fold them. (width of desk = 1150mm, legs 710mm x 2 = 1420mm)

Basically what Adrian and Terry said, it needs to be more stable than your plan shows, sorry to say, it will rack left to right alarmingly as per your plan. It may be that the brackets which you couldn’t show us had foldable supports at 45° underneath, in which case if the brackets are designed for the job go ahead and happy woodworking. Ian

Gi folks. Thank you. The brackets were the ones attached (still cant link yet). They lock into position and you need to press a button to release so the consensus is, this isnt really going to work?

Happy to put more work in where necessary but at this rate might just order a 4' trestle table and be done with it, although i'd love to make something myself :)

Screen Shot 2020-12-22 at 13.52.50.png

Don't over think it.

CLS will be fine.

You could even mortice and tenon the cross members into the legs for some extra strength and experience if you have a workmate, 1/2" chisel and a hammer.

As for hinges if you buy 10 strap hinges off eBay / Amazon you can use 4 for the legs and the other 6 for folding braces in the middle to stop it racking.

Like this

https://www.google.com/search?q=tre...-motorola-rev2&prmd=sinv#imgrc=uzWnga6s5wpUEM
Cheers James

Like other members have said, go for it!

you can always modify the table if your not happy with the finished item. Cls is a really cheap way to build it, make sure you check through the stock for splits, bends & twists.

If you are not happy with your woodwork at the end of the project a couple of coats of old emulsion paint will hide many sins.

make sure to let us see what you build :)

Back