Making a decent sliding table ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lord Kitchener

Established Member
Reaction score
I intend to make a dedicated tenon cutting device using a router, and need to address the issue of the sliding table.

I'm thinking of using these (or similar) round bars with linear bearings, probably from a kit like this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SC16LUU-Rail- ... 1c2407a171

but probably with an extra pair of linear bearings to allow for a wider table (one bearing at each corner).

Has anyone used this sort of thing, or does anyone have a better suggestion? I don't have any metal working facilities BTW.

Often used for making up cnc tables, and should be fine for what you have in mind. If you use aluminium extrusions for building the frame, fences etc you'll probably not have too many difficulties working it with the sort of facilities you have in a wood work shop. You might need to invest in a few taps and dies for cutting threads, and a pillar drill would be very useful for accurate and square holes. A decent engineers square, rule and scriber will also help.
Sounds like an interesting project, i've just started collecting some bits and pieces ( inc linear bearings like yours) to make a planer knife grinder - be interested to see how yours goes.

Back