Making a cot bed - need some help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

py6km

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'd like to make a cotbed for my daughter which will eventually convert to a normal bed. I have some basic tools, and will be getting some more, but wondered if there was anyone relatively local to me (Bristol) who could help with the sourcing and preparation of the bulk wood.

I'd pay of course, not expecting something for nothing. Ideally I'd like to be able to have all the peices of wood ready to go bar some trimming etc, and me making the joints etc, so it would be various lengths and sizes that I'd be after that have been cut to the rough dimensions needed and planed down to a degree.

I'd like to use good quality hard wood such as oak, but am open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Hi and welcome. I don't have a planer/thicknesser either - not enough room, and I prefer to use hand tools.

If you don't get a suitable offer, there is another way - for a few projects (two bookcases and a wardrobe) I bought the wood prepared to sections from Robbins in Bristol. I don't expect they are the cheapest, but each time they machined accurately to the sections I needed, so I just had to cut to lengths and make the joints. They did this with almost no wastage, and free delivery.

This was the wardrobe which included square section, tongue and groove, and a small ovolo beading:

IMG_3541.jpg

They carry a very wide stock of timbers (some aimed at the luxury boat market) and do list prices on their website

http://www.robbins.co.uk/index.asp.

Thanks chaps.

The wardrobe looks superb, thanks for letting me know about Robbins, I'd not heard of them.

Latest posts

Back