Making a casement window (single glazed)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pollys13":3455pc7m said:
" ...... A small mallet and butt chisel is definitely a blessing when mallet swinging is restricted "....... ahh :)

Amazing work and also a very nice window, looks to me like Oak but you said something else but the light changes how it looks.
As a time served experienced joiner how long did it take in toal do you think from start to finish to make it. Those mortar grooves is that a standard thing on frames then? That window I fished out the skip to look at how was put together, it had grooves I thought they were weathering strips, or thats what I thought they were called. The window board was jointed to the frame like the cill was too. I am familiar with the cill, jambs and header all forming one unit.
Ps how much did you flog the window for, if don't want to say, OK
It's a little tricky to put an exact price on it. There was lots of other bits being done at the same time- repairs, doors etc. Off the top of my head, I wouldn't think they'd be much change from a grand if you were to make it on it's own. Generally I allow 2.5 days a window, perhaps a tad more if it's espag bolt locks. Hth.
Regarding the Mortar groove, it's something I always like to put in. On this window, the overall height was right. It was just a bit long cornered trying to get in, due to an out of level wibbly wobbly wooden lintel.
fb70d11d4722975e740fbd01296d1bbc.jpg

I find it much easier having 2 seperate sides to remove with the planer,rather than trying to stop about halfway from each side.
The window was going into an old stone wall, so the groove will have filled up with mortar as the outside of the frame got stopped in. It just helps sturdy everything up.
Might be worth mentioning the screw heads. I use to use winzer wurth screws until it became more hassle than it was worth,ordering them. The only time I noticed cheaper screws snapping,was when they had glue on the threads when I was trying to remove them. Countersink them a bit deeper and you can plane right over the top of them if needed.

Beau":3455pc7m said:
Top class work there Coley

So much work and difficult work at that goes into making a good window and that looks like a very, very good window =D>
Thankyou Beau, appreciate the compliment ;)

Coley

Thanks again for posting all this thread, what make, type hinges for did you use for external use? You havn't come back on my PM. That was a No 7 jointer you used on the stile of the sash, is that the preferred plane for that job?
Cheers Coley.

Oh, If I come across anyone wanting windows made up etc. You'll come as highly recommended and I'll get back to you about it. :)

pollys13":sm1njzrr said:
Thanks again for posting all this thread, what make, type hinges for did you use for external use? You havn't come back on my PM. That was a No 7 jointer you used on the stile of the sash, is that the preferred plane for that job?
Cheers Coley.

I think it was a number 7, but a block plane, or a 3,4, 4.5, 5, 6, 7 or an 8 would do the job. You seem determine to chuck money away when you could more than happily use what you have ;)

Regarding fitting I didn't take many pics. It never looks good being on your phone all the time when the customers around.

You should be able to work out timber cost from the cutting list provided on page one- it'll be good practice for when you price your own windows !

Cheers

Coley

You seem determine to chuck money away when you could more than happily use what you have ;) ...... No way.... mate :) I've got a number 4 and a 5 jack.
Regarding fitting I didn't take many pics. It never looks good being on your phone all the time when the customers around. ....... right :)
What did you pay to have the cutter knife made for the moulding and the rebate cut?

You mentioned showing the jig for cutting the 9 degree cill cut on the tablesaw.

pollys13":4eaayt8k said:
You seem determine to chuck money away when you could more than happily use what you have ;) ...... No way.... mate :) I've got a number 4 and a 5 jack.
Regarding fitting I didn't take many pics. It never looks good being on your phone all the time when the customers around. ....... right :)
What did you pay to have the cutter knife made for the moulding and the rebate cut?
It was years ago. Somewhere between 50 and £100 i think

pollys13":4eaayt8k said:
You mentioned showing the jig for cutting the 9 degree cill cut on the tablesaw.
You mentioned showing pics of your new spindle fence but I don't keep mentioning it ;)

There's only so many hours in a day and sometimes Its bed time before I've got round to doing everything, so apologies for not dropping everything and replying immediately ! So far I've responded to all your 25+ pms, bit must admit I thought you were pulling my leg with the pencil related message :lol:

As requested here's a quick mock up of how you could do the 9 degree cill cut on a table saw.
d173f84328a05ef3b2892d431ead6e69.jpg

The closer the block of wood gets to the blade, the steeper the angle
55d5f6650e08abbe396e4471fc22b104.jpg

You could have the block of wood so it slides if you wanted to be extra snazzy, or just screw/clamp the block of wood in place. Hth

Coley

OK thanks again Coley , will post photo of spindle fence as soon as have finished assembling hood.
Promise :)
Ps I've ordered the pencil :)

mugginsNO1":4c1fptdg said:
This is a wonderful resource for anyone wanting to take on this task. Superb.
Thanks mugginsNO1. Glad you found it informative. Welcome to the forum btw ;)

Coley

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

ColeyS1":3kpebqis said:
mugginsNO1":3kpebqis said:
This is a wonderful resource for anyone wanting to take on this task. Superb.
Thanks mugginsNO1. Glad you found it informative. Welcome to the forum btw ;)

Coley

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Thanks, glad to be here.

Coley

How did I miss this?

Fantastic write up and I fully appreciate how much time this must have taken so for that, I thank you.

I have waded through all five pages and every word, (good job I'm at work at the moment) really enjoyed it, a great insight into how a window is made.

I'm not sure I will ever need to make one but after reading this I really think I could have a good go and make a passable job, to me it's just a hobby but the way you have written it up would certainely give me the confidence to follow your instructions and get there in the end.

I just want you to know the window you made looks fantastic but more that your efforts were worth it as I gained a lot and enjoyed the read.

Thanks

Mick

This is simply amazing work you have done!
Attention to detail is what I like the most, I have never attempted to make a window in quality like this and I think I will never will because of all the machinery needed.
Good job!

MrDavidRoberts":21a9woyu said:
This is simply amazing work you have done!
Attention to detail is what I like the most, I have never attempted to make a window in quality like this and I think I will never will because of all the machinery needed.
Good job!
Thanks David.
Don't be put off whatsoever by the machines I used. They are only used for speed. Every process the machines did, are easy enough to do with routers, hand tools etc. What I was hoping to show was the arrangement of the joints, timber sections and the orders in which they can be done. The machining stage is fairly boring, it's using the hand tools that's most enjoyable.
Anyways, I appreciate your comment.
Cheers
Coley

Wow, what an amazing thread. Thank you so much h for posting this guide to building windows. I love wood and have wanted to try and make some nice windows to replace my plastic fantastic ones. But what you did was so precise and beautiful I believe I will not even attempt it.

Back