Making a 70° or 130° degree cut

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could he clamp extra timber to the side of the board he wants to cut and using this extra width do the cut along the edge of the sheet with a skillsaw and fence and have a tidy up with the plane afterwards?

He could. It would work but not as well as the table saw but if that is all you had. If you had a radial arm saw the blade could be laid over and the board on the flat pushed past it. If access to a wide enough thicknesser is available the board could be sent through on an angled sled. A surfacer could be used too by having a board setup beside the machine to get the angle and the board sent over a number of times until the desired result was achieved. You can pretty much use any machine you have (wide belt sander, stoke sander, electric hand plane, router, bandsaw, CNC router etc) if you give it some thought and preparation.

Pete

Perhaps a factor might be how “tall” his piece of ply is when on its edge, on my wobbly saw table the thought of holding a wide piece up on its edge would give me sleepless nights,,,I was just thinking of a simple way around his problem,,but your right a multitude of machines could be made to work,,,I wonder if he has any?
Steve.

Not so much an answer but some simple maths - assuming I have understood the question properly.

The board is 30mm thick. the angle you want cut is a 70 degrees referenced to the board edge.

Simple geometry would make the width of the cut required 88mm. Most circular and track saws don't have the capacity. Table saw might but you would need to have a very secure jig with the board on edge.

Best solution may be to cut most of the waste away on a router table in (say) 3mm increments and then plane.

Well spotted Terry, where was I when that old simple geometry was being bandied about at school? Not paying attention I suppose and now half a century later it comes back to bite you on the ass. Certainly my skilsaws wouldnt posess that depth of cut but I did see one being used by some american chap on utube that seemed absolutely enormous, it must have had a 12 or 14 ins blade and looked a really vicious beast. I wonder how our man has got on?
Steve

We have become completely reliant on machinery. Isn't it amazing that for hundreds of years cabinet makers produced beautiful pieces of furniture using only hand tools. When I was a boy I used to sit at my dad's bench and watch him work. In my early days he didn't even have an electric drill. Take the plunge ( no pun!) and do it by hand.

Setting out and a badger plane? OK, I'd rough out with a router first to save muscle power

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back