"Makes me want to give up"

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Does it make you want to quit?

• Yes, I've seriously considered giving up after seeing an amazing piece of cabinetry/turning/carving

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I've never considered giving up, it's just a figure of speech.

• No, but seeing an incredible piece does inspire me to do better

• No, I know I'll never be able to do that level of work, but it inspires me to do SOMETHING

• Total voters

BigShot

Established Member
Reaction score
I see the expression bandied around a bit and it's got me thinking...

When you see an absolutely perfect piece of whatever your chosen corner of woodworking is, does it make you really consider giving up?

I'm sure it's a figure of speech for most but I'm wondering.

I've seen things that have made me feel kinda sick. So good I know it'll be years before I can make something so nice, if at all. Never made me want to quit though, in fact it gives me a kick up the rear more than anything, so...

Does it make you want to quit?

There have been times I've felt like quitting, but never from seeing exquisite work. In fact I feed on inspiration.

Quit? I'd like to have some time to get started! ;)

Seriously though, I'm the same as wizer, seeing good stuff just makes me want to make something similar myself, regardless of how good it is or how out of my comfort zone.

For me - seeing something good or inspirational encourages me to do something myself. Its only when I try that disillusionment sets in along with a cloud of resignation that actually 'just a dovetail' or 'just a small box' etc can in fact be more difficult to produce than it looks. Shiny tools help but will not turn me into David Charlesworth, power tools save time but make mistakes much faster. I then see something else inspirational and the cycle starts again. Give up - no, but my journey in woodworking has to date been a series of peaks and troughs of expectation and realisation. I still live with the hope that with a little more time, and a little more care, the peaks will get higher, the troughs not so low. Gross structural joinery and general house bashing I am good at, its when accuracy and detail become important that I struggle. Tolerance of 1mm in a decking project is excessive. On a handcut dovetail its sloppy. Doing the former does not make one able to do the later but I try, oh how I try :wink:

Steve.

I didn't vote as there's not an option for me. I'm impressed by some of the pieces I see but my motivation to make is more about creating the things I and my family need or want - a very practical driver. The point being that giving up has never crossed my mind when confronted with someone else's work.

Now I have to go out and hunt squirrels for tonight's dinner... :)

matt":3mdndivq said:
Now I have to go out and hunt squirrels for tonight's dinner... :)

I think I have a family of them living in my roof if you're interested ? ;) It's either squirrels or RATS :shock:

Actually you make a good point there Matt. Lately I have come around to realising that I need to make stuff that we need and not get bogged down in the technical details or 'proper' woodworking.

I have turning as a creative outlet.

yikes I hope not Pete. I've not actually seen anything yet, just can hear some tap tap tapping above our heads in the bedroom. Sounds to heavy to be mice and the only creature I've seen lately is a squirrel clambering up the side of our house a few weeks ago. If it was rats I think the dogs would have had them by now (being JRT's)

Give up? Heck no.

Most of the time I see absolute tat selling for many times what I charge - to the point that if I'm unhappy with my fit and finish but have reached a point where I don't have the heart to start over, I just pop along to the local guitar/furniture shop. Always makes me feel much better.

When I do see something extraordinary, I think, 'Wow, it is possible' and get spurred on to try harder.

It'll never be perfect - especially if I don't hurry up and switch to new fangled unscratched spectacles, but if I enjoy making it, the recipient is happy, and I'm fired up to do better still next time, what more is there?

Cheers
Steve

In my 20's and broke, I took a job with Moben Kitchens.
On the first day out I went with the regional manager to an appointment he had.
We arrived at a rough council estate in Moss side Manchester, found the house and went inside.
Unable to find anywhere clean to sit down, and having tripped over several large dogs, our attention was drawn to the house owners fire surround, built from natural quarry stone.
The house interior was bloody awful, as was the fire surround, obviously a DIY job, which inclined at 30 degrees from the wall, mortar all over the face stone as well as the carpet.
It was uneven, unlevell and nothing square. A plinth stood on the top which had a box of matches under one end to level it up.
We didn't say anything to each other but we both clocked the workmanship.
When we were finishing up, the question of price raised it's head for the new kitchen.
Turning to the home owner, my boss said,
'Look, your wife loves the oak finish doors, which are quality'
'I can see by the decor in your home, especially the natural stone fireplace, and the skill and time which has gone into building it, that you are a man of class, and would not be happy with anything inferior.
'Only the best will be in keeping with your surroundings.......so, can we do a deal for the oak?
How, I didn't wet my pants, I will never know!
The guy signed up there and then, agreeing that he had a taste for quality.
He had built the fire surround himself.
Along with his son he had stolen the stone from a Yorkshire quarry late at night, and in several trips.
He offered to build my boss one!!!!!!!
He realy thought that what he had built was, top notch....so who was going to spoil it for him?
As they say,
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.......
Mike

Dick - good story that.
That's something I love about the trades, you don't half get some cracking stories to tell.

Cheers for the responses folks, the results are pretty much as I expected, though I'd be interested to hear from the person who voted "yes" and see what it was, why they felt like quitting and what stopped them.

Matt - sorry for not having an option to cover your choice. I'm not sure how I'd word an option that would cover it though.
Ah well.

Though, you could word it for me and I'll put it in the poll just so you can vote. I'm sure there will then be people who voted for one and would have voted for that but hey, it's not like we're voting on anything really important. :p

StevieB":216vq8fj said:
For me - seeing something good or inspirational encourages me to do something myself. Its only when I try that disillusionment sets in along with a cloud of resignation that actually 'just a dovetail' or 'just a small box' etc can in fact be more difficult to produce than it looks. Shiny tools help but will not turn me into David Charlesworth, power tools save time but make mistakes much faster. I then see something else inspirational and the cycle starts again. Give up - no, but my journey in woodworking has to date been a series of peaks and troughs of expectation and realisation. I still live with the hope that with a little more time, and a little more care, the peaks will get higher, the troughs not so low. Gross structural joinery and general house bashing I am good at, its when accuracy and detail become important that I struggle. Tolerance of 1mm in a decking project is excessive. On a handcut dovetail its sloppy. Doing the former does not make one able to do the later but I try, oh how I try :wink:

Steve.

That's me you're talking about there Steve.
Well said. :D

Mark

Back