make your own "veneered" mdf

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing new, scumble work was very common many years ago. Many a "fake" wood effect was applied to doors, staircases etc.

painting patterns of QSWO on cheaper wood was fairly common here around 100 years ago. I guess it was a matter of labor being much cheaper than the real thing. Looks great from 20 feet, but from 2, not so great (but interesting).

This type of faux woodgrain has been used historically in both traditional canal boat decoration and some cars as fake wood trim on dashboards etc.

The use of this kind of surface fakery is not confined to wood - I am aware the apparently marble with its decorative graining has been applied by brush to plaster.

I have also, with rather less skill, applied a stone finish (alabaster) to an MDF fireplace surround courtesy of a B&Q rattle can. Fairly convincing until you get close!!

In fact there seems to be a theme in this - the continual and increasing replacement of expensive materials by some kind of surface treatment - veneer on cheap and plentiful wood being an early example.

Latest posts

Back