Make your own handles - it's easy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

HI all

Those who have been paying attention will know that I have recently acquired a fine Stanley #6. :lol: Required some work but cuts OK now. Unfortunately. it came with those awful plastic :twisted: handles and so I have made my own :p .
I preferred my LN #4.5 handle profile to the Stanley shape as it is slightly more upright and so used that as a template and simply drew around it onto a piece of 1" Beech that was in the off-cut box.

I cut the shape with a scroll saw and then sanded it with a cheap drum sander attachment I got from Axminster for about a fiver, in my drill stand.

I ran a 1/2" roundover bit around it and then finished the curves with a piece of 240 grit sand paper.

Total time for the job was about 3/4 hour. Only hard bit was the drilling for the main bolt :x 'Orrible job! I finally drilled half way from the bottom and then half way down from the top - luckily they met :wink:

I finished it with two coats of boiled linseed oil as I like the warm tones it brings to the Beech and it has a lovely silky feel.

Loads more comfortable than the rubbish plaggy thing and looks (in my opinion) much better.
Just need to get the lathe out and make the front knob now :wink:

Go on give it a go!!

Number_six_standard.JPG

Number_six_new_handle.JPG

edited for spelling as the original was written (badly) at 12.15am

Lovely job Tony but I am shocked and disappointed that you did not use it as a reason (not an excuse) to invest in some traditional shaping tools such as more spokeshaves and quality rasps.

You have made it look far too easy!

AP and Dave, at what price though?

Chris, can't believe I didn't convince mrs T that I needed a couple of those auriol? rasps that you got :?

Tony,

Proper job. Where do I place my bulk order...? :roll: And what about the knob then? High or low? Decisions, decisions...

Cheers, Alf

Tony at 3/4 of an hour and a bit o scrap beech it's gotta be worth at least a pasty and doughnut and maybe a cuppa :lol:

Back