Mains jigsaws.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Pascoe

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I've just cracked the sole plate of my 18V DeWalt trying to beat it back something like flat. I suspected it would happen, but the the saw had become so inaccurate as to be unusable. It has done quite a lot of work but as it's impossible to keep the base square to the blade without a cable tie on the lever (and even then it drifts) and I can't really contemplate putting a new base on it knowing the same thing will happen again. I'm loathe to buy another DeWalt (even the more expensive one seems to have the same base). I can't now justify buying into another battery system and while a cordless is handy, it's not essential so I'm looking at mains powered saws. My old Bosch (that gave up on me before this DeWalt) was beaten to hell for twenty years - I doubt anything made now will last like that but I'm open to suggestions.

The P1cc is a wonderful piece of engineering, I went for it over the Festool Carvex. Next one down from that (for me) was the Bosch GST160BCE, which is fairly robust and can at least keep a relatively straight blade. I have one of those as well for more general site work. It sort of replaced a GST135BCE with more than 10 years heavyish use, but unfortunately it won't take my Carter coping foot for scribes, hence the Mafell (well, that's what I told the missus)

Last edited:
Phil, I think it depends how much you're going to use it.

For "non-tradesmen" or hobbyist/sometimes users like me, there's a lot to be said for the cheapo "junk" to be found in Lidl & Aldi. Yes, I know a lot of folk automatically poo-poo such stuff, often without even trying I think, and I agree that I myself have bought a couple of lemons there.

OTOH, I have several tools from that source/s which IMO anyway, definitely represent very good value for money - just as an e.g. a 12V drill/driver (no hammer) from Aldi has WELL outlasted a similar but much more expensive similar DeWalt tool of similar age - the batteries too!

And to my mind, the 3 year hassle-free guarantee both offer is the final argument in their favour.

Both do have mains-powered jigsaws from time to time, but a minus of these stores is that these days, about 95% of the stuff is battery (which of course means charger, spare battery/ies as well).

HTH anyway

If I can knacker a DeWalt in two years I expect I can do it in less to a Lidl/Aldi. :)
I appreciate everything's going cordless, but I really don't want the expense of another battery system. I don't use it for work, but it does get quite a lot of use. It's a nice saw, it's a shame the base is so useless.

Why not buy a replacement foot, then. Cheaper than buying a new heavy duty saw, and will probably last as long as z cheapie, but be I definitely nicer to use

Next one down from that (for me) was the Bosch GST160BCE, which is fairly robust and can at least keep a relatively straight blade.

I use the Bosch GST160CE (with the barrel grip). As long as you have the right blade for the job installed, it works very well.

OTOH, I have several tools from that source/s which IMO anyway, definitely represent very good value for money - just as an e.g. a 12V drill/driver (no hammer) from Aldi has WELL outlasted a similar but much more expensive similar DeWalt tool of similar age - the batteries too!

I've a £3.99 chisel I've never sharpened thats outlasted a £250 Japanese chisel.;)

Use that aldi drill to the point it gets hot, or all day every day and its not going to last. You simply cannot compare a trade tool to a cheap one, given the work each is expected to face in its working life.

Why not buy a replacement foot, then. Cheaper than buying a new heavy duty saw, and will probably last as long as z cheapie, but be I definitely nicer to use
It's still a possibility, but I remember how quickly the first one started to deform, and I have to check the saw every time I use it for something accurate as it drifts out of square so easily, even with a cable tie on the lever. I 've lagged it in Locktite and it still drifts.

I'd second a Bosch jigsaw. Mine even though the basic green one is excellent.

Cheers James

My Blue Bosch has died after 1 hours use, but out of warranty. Circuit board is broken apparently , so I would steer clear of them

My Blue Bosch has died after 1 hours use, but out of warranty. Circuit board is broken apparently , so I would steer clear of them
How is it out of warranty ? you've a standard 1 year, and longer if you register it(usually 3 years)

I've been using my blue bosch for fair time , always there,always reliable.

Admittedly after owning it for 3 years I discovered only a few weeks back it had a blower function on it :LOL:

Are you aware that there are various battery converters available?
ebay search ‘bosch battery converter’.
Not every combination is available but it widens your options without ‘investing’ in another battery system.

Back