Mail order timber?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garywayne

Established Member
Reaction score
I am having trouble finding a timber supplier who stocks hardwood in my part of Hampshire, (Gosport, Fareham, Portsmouth). Having it ordered can take some time. I have just found out that the yard I currently use is going to be turned into a building site.

My question is: Are mail order timber suppliers reliable in the quality of timber supplied?

All comments on mail order timber suppliers are welcome.

ATB Gary.

Garywayne - you have WL West at Petworth, only about 30/40 miles away I would think. I buy from them and have not been disappointed.

I'd second WL Wests, although britishhardwoods.co.uk have supplied me ok in the past.

Adam

Gary

I've always used British Hardwoods, good quality wood, the only problem I find with them is the lead time for delivery, it sometimes takes about 3/4 weeks to get the order.

For those that use WL, whats their lead time from order to delivery?

I live in Suffolk, so some distance, but they have always delivered to me within a week. If you speak with them, I think they deliver to various areas on one day or so of the week. My day is Thursday so I plan for that.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I have read that some mail order supplier's tend to fob you off with some dodgy, (shoddy) gear, (include the occasional iffy plank amongst your order), so it is always best to go and see for yourself. But, as I mentioned before, my local is shutting down, so i'm looking for an alternative sauce. I might be able to make the occasional trip to Petworth (due to funds). That's why i'm asking for your opinions and recommendations.

ATB Gary.

Garywayne - Just a thought, it might be worth a visit to Petworth on the first ocassion to see what they do, and then rely on them for future telephone sales. I know when I get my delivery, I unload by hand and each board is lifted individually, so whilst not an in deepth inspection takes place I can see any board not up to visual standard. Any boards can then be returned directly.

In the past, not from WL West, I received a very poor board by mail order. All I done was photographed the board, emailed the pictures and I received a refund, so there are ways to get around the travelling.

I have good mail order service from SL but their delivery charges are a bit steep. Have also bought from WL Wests - well worth a visit.
John

garywayne":2c8zstf0 said:
I am having trouble finding a timber supplier who stocks hardwood in my part of Hampshire, (Gosport, Fareham, Portsmouth). .

Have a look at this link - there are some ads for suppliers in the West Sussex area that might fit the bill

http://www.woodnet.org.uk/woodlots/PDF/ ... adMenu.htm

As far as mail order is concerned most companies will respond to complaints if you are unlucky. There may be a dodgy plank in every pile.

A customer who doesn't come back for more is no use to anyone, unless you're an undertaker.

Hi Gary,

there's a timber yard / sawmill outside of wickham on the road to droxford - but i can't remember whether it sells hardwoods... it's near the big victorian pumping station about 2 miles the other side of wickham

jim

Thanks Jim,

I used to drink in Droxford,(great road for the bike), I'd forgotten all about that place.

I might go for a run out there when the wife gives me some pocket money.

ATB Gary.

Have a look at this site Gary, http://www.woodbypost.fsnet.co.uk/index.htm

Not sure if it's too far for you. Not a "normal" woodyard, more of a hobby for Paul Goulden who runs it but if you are okay with air dried English timbers and can collect from him (don't think he delivers, but he may do by arrangement), then you can often get decent timber at a reasonable cost.

Very helpful guy, but essential to call beforehand if you plan to visit. Best to visit and pick over what you want if possible.

Cheers, Paul. :D

I've just looked at the British Hardwoods website. I've not used much hardwood and this stuff seems v e r y expensive to me. You also have to buy an awful lot of wood or be charged a 25% surcharge on top. Is this normal for hardwoods?

I recently bought some mahogany from Gibson Craftwood. They are a small husband & wife team who sell small quantities on Ebay. check them out, their prices are very reasonable. Their Ebay ID is tjg1949.

regards

Brian

Brian,

I use British Hardwoods a lot and find their prices very competitive and their quality excellent. Best of all, they are quite happy to pull a pack down for you and let you select your own boards at your leisure - all nice & dry in their state of the art warehouse. I've never ordered from them for delivery, but there again I always prefer to select my own timber. I am convinced that the time spent is more than repayed.

Incidently, there is a hardwood supplier on your doorstep who you may not know about. They are in Abergele and I've been meaning to call on them for ages on the way to my folks' caravan. Phone no is 01745 860376. Don't know much more than that.

The other place to try is the Mostyn Estate sawmill at Greenfield. Their timber is cheapish but needs a bit of seasoning. http://www.mostyn-estates.co.uk/sawmill.htm

Cheers
Brad

Back