Mail order shopping - recent experiences

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
Been meaning to do a little trumpet blowing for one of these since before Christmas, so I thought I'd kill a couple of birds with one post.

First up, Toolshop Direct. Going entirely on Neil's extensive recommendations on this forum, and a good price :wink: , this is where we got the Bosch SCMS from. Ordered on the Friday morning, arrived all present and correct on the following Monday. That's quick! :shock:

But we can beat it! Placed a teeny tiny order with Folkestone Engineering Supplies yesterday morning (Friday) and it arrived this morning. Nice guy to deal with, only down side the flat rate postal charge was more than the value of the order. :( Not woodworking exactly, but if you're in need of small quantities of assorted metals, threads etc, I for one am impressed.

Axminster remains variable. One order was pretty quick, considering it was over the holiday period, the other inexplicably slow. Strangely on one we got a despatch confirmation email, on the other zilch. I thought these things were automatic? Heigh ho. I like the fact they show what's out of stock now; very helpful. The tracking number was a hoot. It told me my order was at the "midlands hub" about 1/2 an hour before the doorbell rang. I won't go into the lunacy of it having to go all the way up country to get from Devon to Cornwall; that's just a by product of "efficiency" :roll:

Now the possible candidate for "what was I thinking?". I'm hoping I'm going to be suitably impressed, but it's still a work in progress. I placed an order with Rutlands. I swore I wouldn't, but they made an effort of sorts by joining up here, so here's the second chance. Everything's crossed that they don't blow it. I will, naturally, let you know.

Of course I haven't had cause to get back to any of them on anything - yet - which is the real test, but fwiw.

Cheers, Alf

I ordered a Trend Airshield in the Rutlands sale.two days later I received a LETTER saying they were out of stock, expecting delivery on the 17th of this month. They also quoted me 5 days delivery and I am being charged £6 pounds postage. The price is very good but I am not impressed to have to wait an extra 5 days and be charged for the privelidge

ALF - Traitor!
I thought you were a lifetime member of ARGG! (Anti-Rutlands Gang of Galoots!) :wink: :D

Alf,

just out of curiosity, what was it you were after from FES? It seems that they are almost as far east from you as its possible to be in this country - not that there's anything wrong with that but if ther postage is flat rate I'm surprised that there isnt someone closer who can offer similar products.

T

Not woody at all, but, for anyone interested...
September 2004:
Tumble drier dies after 12 years. RIP. Find a Bosch on the internet, Robertsons, good price, place order...
CC debited, then email - " regret, blah,blah,blah - out of stock, blah,blah,blah, 28 days, blah,blah,blah".
Eventually cancel order, refund, look elsewhere.
Co-op - ethical retailer (suppressed laughter), tells us Bosch not available, manufacturer probs, Hoover similar spec. OK.
Arrives soon, house no longer looks like a Chinese laundry.
Wake up one morning, no electric.
Fix the trip, no positive ID, but next week, the power goes off. After a while the penny drops, Tumble drier -> power cut.
Phone call, half hour of Vivaldi on a SALES line, we'll repair it, no refund, you've had it 35 days. Refunds only before 28 days. Pointed out that it took a while to twig what was causing it. Tough. You can go to Trading Standards if you like, but we don't have to so we won't."
Engineer arrives. "Needs new heater, condensor, filter, 4 days, but Christmas, blah,blah,blah..."
2 Weeks later, zilch, so angry phone call. "Oh dear. You spoke to Diane, she is MDs right hand (!), and outranks me. Leave it with me."
2 hours later,"We'll exhchange it".
2 days later, Bosch arrives, all is well, WHY DIDN'T THEY DO THIS IN THE FIRST PLACE?`
10/10 to Simon, 0/10 to Bosses Right Hand.

In the last few months, Tuner, CD player, Fan oven, DVD recorder and now TD have all failed. I'm beginning to think that the internet is false economy. At least if you buy locally you can bang on a desk and rant in front of potential customers, if the worst comes to the worst. It just shouldn't be necessary.

It's depressing, especially in contrast to the way Brimarc treated me before Christmas. Perhaps they should give Masterclasses.
Cheers
Steve

Steve Maskery":1btd3vqu said:
In the last few months, Tuner, CD player, Fan oven, DVD recorder and now TD have all failed.
Aargh, isn't that always the way? Everything goes at once. :roll:

Rutlands have emailed me to say the order is despatched, but fascinatingly my account hasn't been debited. From the ridiculous to the sublime? And yes folks, you're correct in your deduction, it's not on a credit card. I don't have one (from choice, not bad debt I hasten to add!). Do I like living dangerously or what? :twisted:

Tim, t'was a length of 1/8" thick brass. There is a place locally I could have tried, but it was going to need a special trip to get to it, no guarantee they'd have the goods, and with fuel prices what they are, time spent going to and from etc it probably worked out cheaper. Anyway I've been wanting to try them. :D

Cheers, Alf

Rutlands are looking good at present.

I ordered (via website) on Wednesday evening, received despatch notification on Thrursday afternoon and goods arrived at lunchtime on Friday. Paid by debit card, and charges appeared on my online statement today.

Now trying to avoid looking at the site again until after the sale ends this evening!
:)
David

Steve Maskery":3omhqlpd said:
At least if you buy locally you can bang on a desk and rant in front of potential customers, if the worst comes to the worst. It just shouldn't be necessary.

Steve

Steve, that is awful!!!!

This is why I almost always buy locally - a rant in front of other customers works wonders :wink:

Also, I get a 10% discount form my main local tool supplier as he knows I come back for more :wink:

I placed my first ever order with Rutlands last Sunday (9th) - delivery was supposed to be £20 to Ireland, on completing the order I noticed that I had been charged £25. Sent off a quick email asking about it, and got a very nice ( and quick) response back saying that I had been overcharged, and £5 would be refunded ASAP. Interestingly, this refund has gone on my card, but there is no sign of the debit for the order itself :? . Needless to say, the order hasn't arrived yet, but for those of us in rural Ireland this is to be expected, and I've learned to be very patient about these things. Hopefully, the order will arrive this week, in which case I'll be quite pleased with my first Rutlands experience* as I thought the sale prices were really excellent.

NeilCFD

*Hoping I'm not tempting fate here

hi
i see no one's mentioned d & m power tools, i seem to go back to them time after time,for instance if you take a look at the recordbs350 bandsaw 499 bucks with free extractor ,at rutlands the same machine is
in a sale ,asking price 445 without the free extractor,back at d & m the stand alone bandsaw is 399.this goes without mentioning the loyalty points which always covers the carriage of the item,plus a little more.
don't get me wrong d &m do have some bad points.
but a little research always lets me :shock: the :idea:

I've bought loads of stuff from D&M and they've always been great in my experience. If they have the price you're happy with I'd recommend them.

Yep, used D&M in the past too, and not had any problems.

Anyway, even as I was reading this thread, the Rutlands order has arrived! I haven't checked it yet though, so please continue to keep everything crossed if you would. :D

Cheers, Alf

Edit: Everything present and correct, so a thumbs up. And they still haven't debited my account!

hi alf
sorry for being nosy, but what was it that you ordered from rutlands.

bobby dazzler":3g9k9cp3 said:
hi alf
sorry for being nosy, but what was it that you ordered from rutlands.
Heh heh. Ah, they're all sitting there wondering that, but without the nerve to ask. :wink: A few bits and bobs in the Dakota clamp grip guide range, which I'll try to remember to review, an enormous drill brush to deal with the hard work of buffing Terry's Chestnut wax (looks like an albino hedgehog) and the Trend screw extractors for my dad 'cos previous evidence shows he'll never get them himself. I'm afraid the sale lured me in. :oops:

Cheers, Alf

I'm thoroughly shocked - I've placed 2 orders recently with Rutlands, both times ordered on Sunday and the order has arrived on Tuesday.

The second order has been delivered with one item missing due to it not being in stock (which is a bit of a shame 'cause it's a Intra 1000 special Edition mitre gauge which I was looking forward to playing with). The enclosed invoice has a date which it is due to be delivered and I've only been invoiced for the items I've received.

It seems they may have actually turn over a new leaf :D

I ordered from Axminster the other week also (I really do have to stop spending now!) and it took 5 days to arrive. What a total turn around!

Alf":3t1ndbnt said:
I'm afraid the sale lured me in. :oops:
Me too :oops: :oops: - rather more tempting than Axminster's 'sale' this year (unless you want Perform stuff)

Neil

hi folks
having also been a victim of rutlands in sucking i placed a small order on 9th jan. i recieved an email on 15th to say temp out of stock and would be available from 19th.
from previous orders from them i duly gritted my teeth thinking card will have been charged as of 9th.
much to my supprize i recieved a letter today, (yes a Letter in the post!) to say ordered item to be despatched on 19th and that my card will only be charged when shipped.
pehaps the feedback on card charging is getting through to them at last, after the many posting on the forum here.

Dave W

Hi Dave

desmoengine":1gmrf3xx said:
pehaps the feedback on card charging is getting through to them at last, after the many posting on the forum here.

Their new computer system doesn't charge your card unless they have the item in stock.

At long last they have entered the 21st century and stopped taking their customers' funds without having supplied the goods.

Cheers
Neil

I've just received an order from Aminister - 22 hours after it was placed! Despite occasional minor problems I've always found them excellent.
Cheers, David

Latest posts

Back