Mahogany

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowboy682

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all
is Mahogany too hard to turn? l have a piece of worktop which is Mahogany it is dark with blocks of oblong wood in and very heavy
just wondering if it wood turn

Timbers that finish well with hand or machine tools (and some that don't) usually turn nicely, mahogany being no exception. The only thing that may make a difference is that it's a piece of worktop - I've turned oak and beech worktop, both are vile to turn - but perfectly OK in their natural state.

ok thanks for your respond l will give it a go new to all this just bought and building up a AXMINSTER CRAFT AC370WL VAR SPEED WOODTURNING LATHE with a AXMINSTER CLUBMAN SK100 WOODTURNING CHUCK PACKAGE - 1" X 8 TPI so once again thanks

I'm still a relative novice but often find mahogany prone to end grain tearing, more so than other woods I've tried using the same tools etc. I've worked on the wood taken from old furniture. Maybe it's just me though.

Mahogany, iroko, oak, beech, ash, (even lignum vitae) turn fine, but if you're new to woodturning, the main problem you'll experience with turning bowls in harder woods is 'tear out'. (The easiest wood to turn and finish is Sycamore, albeit it's a bit bland, which is why it's often used in segmented work, or for colouring and texturing . (London plane ('lacewood') looks a bit more interesting and turns well).

If you're new to woodturning, a few tips might help.

With a standard bowl blank (rather than 'branch-wood') as the wood rotates, the tool alternatively comes up against both end grain and side grain. The smaller the diameter of timber, the faster the lathe needs to spin at to get a good clean cut, or instead of the tool cutting the fibres, it tears them, then it’s necessary to resort to sanding by working through the grits for perhaps 80g to 600 grit for a good finish. The aim is to get the best finish 'off the tool' and to end up 'sanding the shape of the wood' - not 'sanding the wood to shape'. Until you become proficient with gouges, you might find it less challenging to use scrapers than gouges when finishing - a square-ended one for external use on bowls, a round-ended one for the inside.

One query that often crops up is what speed to run the lathe at?

The larger the diameter of the wood, the slower the speed needs to be. After truing up a blank till it rotates without vibration, a good 'rule of thumb' to use for the turning speed is thumb’ formula for calculating the speed at which a woodturning lathe should be run, is:

Diameter in inches x RPM = 6,000 – 9,000.

So for example, a 10 inch diameter bowl blank should be run at a speed of 600 – 900 RPM.

Initially, start off at a slower speed as when the blank is first mounted as it will be out of balance until trued with a roughing gouge. Using the above formula, it follows that a 2” diameter spindle would have a turning speed of 3,000 RPM, and a 1” one a theoretical speed of 6,000 RPM, well beyond the capacity of the lathe, so for spindle turning, most turners would run the lathe at perhaps 2,000 - 3,000 RPM.

At 3,000 RPM, a 1” diameter spindle would have about 3” of timber passing the tool for each rev, so that would be 9,000 inches of timber per minute passing the tool – about 750 feet. A 10” diameter bowl with the lathe running at 600 RPM will have 30 inches of timber per rev passing the tool, 18,000 inches – 1,500 feet per minute.

SANDING:

For sanding, too high a speed will generate heat, and risk cracking a thin walled bowl, so a lower speed - about 250RPM is sensible, moving the paper quickly back and forth to avoid score marks around the item being sanded, starting perhaps with 120 grit, then 180, 220, progressing to 320, 400, 600, depending on the degree of finish desired. When sanding, it’s hopeless going from say 120 – 400 – 1000 as the score marks left by the coarser grades will never come out.

I've attached a few pictures of items I've turned in hardwoods.

First pic is a mortar and pestle. Relevant to your query, the blank for the mortar was from an offcut of teak worktop fished out of a skip. I glued six pieces side by side. It turned well because it was all side grain. The pestle was a piece of African blackwood and the beech handle was spigoted into the blank.

Second and third pics are of a rosewood bowl.

Pics 4 & 5 are of a small bowl in iroko, which is similar to mahogany to turn. (It was an offcut from some dock gate repairs at Hull docks).

Lignum vitae bowling green 'woods' (sometimes referred to as 'bowls') are no longer acceptable for use competitively as they had to be weighed and certified periodically, adding or removing weight in the end, which no-one does any more. Hence, they sometimes turn up at car boot sales or on e-bay. Sometimes used by woodturners for making such things as bowls, clock mounts and woodcarving mallets. Pics 6 & 7 are of a mallet I turned, with an ash handle. (Lignum Vitae is now protected CITES timber: Restricted and Endangered Wood Species | The Wood Database (wood-database.com)

It's one of the hardest timbers there is, but turns well with sharp tools and is saturated with natural oils, so if the lathe if run at a fairly high speed it can be polished with friction from a cloth to draw out the oils, which I did with the mallet.

Last two pics are of a small bowl in burr oak, which was a bit challenging to turn, which is why it's not very thin.

I'm just an averagely good hobby turner and I'm not holding any of these examples out to be competition winners, just to show that hard timbers aren't especially difficult to turn. (The mortar and pestle was the first item I turned as a novice turner).

Hope these ramblings might help and reassure you that your Mahogany worktop timber should turn fine.

Have fun!

David.

Attachments

• Mortar & Pestle pic1.jpg
    Mortar & Pestle pic1.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Rosewood bowl view1.JPG
    Rosewood bowl view1.JPG
    196.2 KB · Views: 11
  • rosewood bowl view2.JPG
    rosewood bowl view2.JPG
    163.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Iroko bowl close up.jpg
    Iroko bowl close up.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Iroko bowl underside.jpg
    Iroko bowl underside.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Bowling ball & ash shaft.jpg
    Bowling ball & ash shaft.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 14
  • Mallet1.jpg
    Mallet1.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 14
  • Burr Oak Bowl inside.jpg
    Burr Oak Bowl inside.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 14
  • Burr Oak Bowl1.jpg
    Burr Oak Bowl1.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 11
All good and useful info EXCEPT - DO NOT USE A ROUGHING GOUGE ON A BOWL they are not made to withstand the stresses encountered when turning bowls!

dave

Mahogany, iroko, oak, beech, ash, (even lignum vitae) turn fine, but if you're new to woodturning, the main problem you'll experience with turning bowls in harder woods is 'tear out'. (The easiest wood to turn and finish is Sycamore, albeit it's a bit bland, which is why it's often used in segmented work, or for colouring and texturing . (London plane ('lacewood') looks a bit more interesting and turns well).

If you're new to woodturning, a few tips might help.

With a standard bowl blank (rather than 'branch-wood') as the wood rotates, the tool alternatively comes up against both end grain and side grain. The smaller the diameter of timber, the faster the lathe needs to spin at to get a good clean cut, or instead of the tool cutting the fibres, it tears them, then it’s necessary to resort to sanding by working through the grits for perhaps 80g to 600 grit for a good finish. The aim is to get the best finish 'off the tool' and to end up 'sanding the shape of the wood' - not 'sanding the wood to shape'. Until you become proficient with gouges, you might find it less challenging to use scrapers than gouges when finishing - a square-ended one for external use on bowls, a round-ended one for the inside.

One query that often crops up is what speed to run the lathe at?

The larger the diameter of the wood, the slower the speed needs to be. After truing up a blank till it rotates without vibration, a good 'rule of thumb' to use for the turning speed is thumb’ formula for calculating the speed at which a woodturning lathe should be run, is:

Diameter in inches x RPM = 6,000 – 9,000.

So for example, a 10 inch diameter bowl blank should be run at a speed of 600 – 900 RPM.

Initially, start off at a slower speed as when the blank is first mounted as it will be out of balance until trued with a roughing gouge. Using the above formula, it follows that a 2” diameter spindle would have a turning speed of 3,000 RPM, and a 1” one a theoretical speed of 6,000 RPM, well beyond the capacity of the lathe, so for spindle turning, most turners would run the lathe at perhaps 2,000 - 3,000 RPM.

At 3,000 RPM, a 1” diameter spindle would have about 3” of timber passing the tool for each rev, so that would be 9,000 inches of timber per minute passing the tool – about 750 feet. A 10” diameter bowl with the lathe running at 600 RPM will have 30 inches of timber per rev passing the tool, 18,000 inches – 1,500 feet per minute.

SANDING:

For sanding, too high a speed will generate heat, and risk cracking a thin walled bowl, so a lower speed - about 250RPM is sensible, moving the paper quickly back and forth to avoid score marks around the item being sanded, starting perhaps with 120 grit, then 180, 220, progressing to 320, 400, 600, depending on the degree of finish desired. When sanding, it’s hopeless going from say 120 – 400 – 1000 as the score marks left by the coarser grades will never come out.

I've attached a few pictures of items I've turned in hardwoods.

First pic is a mortar and pestle. Relevant to your query, the blank for the mortar was from an offcut of teak worktop fished out of a skip. I glued six pieces side by side. It turned well because it was all side grain. The pestle was a piece of African blackwood and the beech handle was spigoted into the blank.

Second and third pics are of a rosewood bowl.

Pics 4 & 5 are of a small bowl in iroko, which is similar to mahogany to turn. (It was an offcut from some dock gate repairs at Hull docks).

Lignum vitae bowling green 'woods' (sometimes referred to as 'bowls') are no longer acceptable for use competitively as they had to be weighed and certified periodically, adding or removing weight in the end, which no-one does any more. Hence, they sometimes turn up at car boot sales or on e-bay. Sometimes used by woodturners for making such things as bowls, clock mounts and woodcarving mallets. Pics 6 & 7 are of a mallet I turned, with an ash handle. (Lignum Vitae is now protected CITES timber: Restricted and Endangered Wood Species | The Wood Database (wood-database.com)

It's one of the hardest timbers there is, but turns well with sharp tools and is saturated with natural oils, so if the lathe if run at a fairly high speed it can be polished with friction from a cloth to draw out the oils, which I did with the mallet.

Last two pics are of a small bowl in burr oak, which was a bit challenging to turn, which is why it's not very thin.

I'm just an averagely good hobby turner and I'm not holding any of these examples out to be competition winners, just to show that hard timbers aren't especially difficult to turn. (The mortar and pestle was the first item I turned as a novice turner).

Hope these ramblings might help and reassure you that your Mahogany worktop timber should turn fine.

Have fun!

David.

thanks for the information that will help me out a lot l will post a picture of the very 1st thing l make good or bad lol

Cowboy - I'm not sure I would recommend this. Mahogany (modern!) is relatively easy to turn, but you have something which is bonded with glues, will have grain going in all directions, may not actually be mahogany and will produce a lot of fine dust which could be troublesome.

https://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/wood-allergies-and-toxicity/
I think this could be a bad experience - please do not run before you can walk and I would after 15 years turning hesitate about trying what you are aiming at doing.

I can sympathise as clearly new toys and you want to try. Please recognise that wood turing is a long learning curve -unlike say the scrollsaw where going slow enough you can produce something passable immediately.. Turning doesn't have that option as there is all the variables of tool sharpness, tool choice , tool grind, tool presentation angle, lathe speed, type of wood, and possibly others - and going slow and careful has a contributory factor but it's away down the list.

Fifteen years is a bit far back for me to remember, but I still have some simple spindle turnings in sycamore which I think is where I started. So go for UK hardwoods (apart from yew - see the website above). Go for a ramble in the woods and see what you can find - it doesn't matter if it is a bit damp - it doesn't matter if it is bough wood rather than 'trunk'. And actually wood that is green is easier to turn than dry as the moisture lubricates, but then it will move and possible split as it does dry in the house - that can be fun in its own right as the distortion will produce a unique piece.

Book if you haven't got one - Mike Barlow "Fundementals of Woodturning"

Best of luck and enjoy
Rob

As an afterthought, there is a spindle turing project in Mike Barlow's book that I turned pretty early on - page 126 - it's a lovely hat stand and a piece that I hope my kids won't throw away! Just local bits of cherry wood.
Rob

Cowboy, All I would add to this is don't be afraid of trying different ways to others, you will learn more by your own good and bad results than anything you read or hear, enjoy yourself, can't wait to see what you make.

Latest posts

Back