Mahogany price

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr.alan.

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am hoping members may be able to help . I am unfortunately having to get shut of my timber storage shed - so I am going to have to part with the mahogany I have . Thing is - I have no idea what I paid for it - and no idea of the cost today. The majority is R/S
all different sizes and widths.
Some I have is reclaimed boards ( which I made my long case out of )
Anyhow ... with it being various sizes - can anyone recommend a website which maybe able to help me determine the price I sell at. Bearing in mind I will want to sell it below half price and obviously in job lots or in bulk . It has been stored for over 20 years here . Thank in advance :D

Brazilian mahogany?

I thinks its been CITES listed -I certainly haven't seen it for sale commercially since the early 2000's

on that basis I expect decent sized boards worth a bit.

Its sad to think beautiful wide boards were routinely used for making windowboards etc

where are you based? I would be interested in buying some for sure. You could try ebay, it's very rarely for sale though but when it is it goes for high prices, you should be able to get pretty high prices as it's very in demand.

The current price of Honduran Mahogany is about £120 a cubic foot ex vat.

More exotic mahoganies are generally CITES listed so pricing is a matter of individual negotiation, I've seen top quality Brazilian in thicker boards (50mm plus thick boards for legs are very rare) go for £200 a cu ft or more, and wide or thick boards of Cuban Mahogany are more expensive still. Smaller dimensions of Cuban are a lot cheaper, mainly because the first thinning from plantation grown Cuban Mahogany is now appearing on the market.

I recommend you dig around the Timberline web site, they're the number one UK timber yard for exotics.

http://shop.exotichardwoods.co.uk

thetyreman":2p0c9gj0 said:
where are you based? I would be interested in buying some for sure. You could try ebay, it's very rarely for sale though but when it is it goes for high prices, you should be able to get pretty high prices as it's very in demand.

Hi There - yes sunnybob is right - based in Liverpool - if you are local you are more than welcome to come and have a look .

RobinBHM":25uzusba said:
Brazilian mahogany?

I thinks its been CITES listed -I certainly haven't seen it for sale commercially since the early 2000's

on that basis I expect decent sized boards worth a bit.

Its sad to think beautiful wide boards were routinely used for making windowboards etc

I have to be honest - I would not know what species of Mahogany I have - so I would not like to label it wrongly -
I am sure the more knowledgable folk would have a good idea . What I may do later on in the week is put some pics up with sizes .

mr.alan.":jldazmqg said:
thetyreman":jldazmqg said:

Hi There - yes sunnybob is right - based in Liverpool - if you are local you are more than welcome to come and have a look .

I'm in stockport, sorry but it's a bit too far for me to travel there.

custard":3albmfoo said:
The current price of Honduran Mahogany is about £120 a cubic foot ex vat.

More exotic mahoganies are generally CITES listed so pricing is a matter of individual negotiation, I've seen top quality Brazilian in thicker boards (50mm plus thick boards for legs are very rare) go for £200 a cu ft or more, and wide or thick boards of Cuban Mahogany are more expensive still. Smaller dimensions of Cuban are a lot cheaper, mainly because the first thinning from plantation grown Cuban Mahogany is now appearing on the market.

I recommend you dig around the Timberline web site, they're the number one UK timber yard for exotics.

http://shop.exotichardwoods.co.uk

I honestly could not say what species it is I am sure more knowledge members would know .
The reclaimed boards I have are the longest peices - all around 8’ long and some 8 1/2 “ x 1. 1/4 and some 5. 1/2 x 2”
The RS sizes vary from over 6’ long and
7x2 - 13x2 - 2 1/2 x 7 .
I have much smaller peices too - from 2’ in length and as above width and depth. I will try and let some pics up this week along with how many and sizes. Thanks for the info :D

mr.alan.":14v5lj24 said:
I honestly could not say what species it is I am sure more knowledge members would know .

I wouldn't bet on it!

Maybe I'm being cynical but it seems to me most Mahogany gets sold on the following basis. If it's redder, darker or heavier then its Brazilian. If it's yellower, paler, or lighter then it's Honduran. However, if it's really, really red, dark, and dense then it's Cuban!

Still, you might find this interesting,
https://www.wood-database.com/wood-arti ... e-lowdown/

I have to be honest - I would not know what species of Mahogany I have - so I would not like to label it wrongly

Sapele and Utile are commercially availiable timbers, that look like mahogany.

custard":27pv9nxs said:
mr.alan.":27pv9nxs said:

I wouldn't bet on it!

Maybe I'm being cynical but it seems to me most Mahogany gets sold on the following basis. If it's redder, darker or heavier then its Brazilian. If it's yellower, paler, or lighter then it's Honduran. However, if it's really, really red, dark, and dense then it's Cuban!

Still, you might find this interesting,
https://www.wood-database.com/wood-arti ... e-lowdown/

Very interesting.. thank you for the link. I “think” by looking at the photos in the link - the reclaimed timber I have is more likely to be Honduran .
If time allows this week I will get some pics up .

Hi Mr Alan
Sorry to see that you have to let go of your mahogany. Just wondering if you have reached a conclusion yet. I might take some off you.

Ta

Seyed

I've Managed to take some pics of the smaller pieces of the reclaimed Mahogany I have. I've taken pictures of the wood inside and outside in natural daylight. One piece I have wetted down with white spirit to give an indication of how it looks when finished with no stain. also pics of the Longcase clock I made out of the timber. I hope this may help with the identification of the species. Thanks.

End-Grain.jpg

Reclaimed-wet-.jpg

Reclaimed-.jpg

side-by-side-outside.jpg

Clock.jpg

side-of-clock.jpg

Attachments

• End-Grain.jpg
    End-Grain.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 1,091
  • Reclaimed-wet-.jpg
    Reclaimed-wet-.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 1,085
  • Reclaimed-.jpg
    Reclaimed-.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 1,106
  • side-by-side-outside.jpg
    side-by-side-outside.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 1,085
  • Clock.jpg
    Clock.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 1,080
  • side-of-clock.jpg
    side-of-clock.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 1,081
SMALMALEKI":rlkq4h7g said:
Hi Mr Alan
Sorry to see that you have to let go of your mahogany. Just wondering if you have reached a conclusion yet. I might take some off you.

Ta

Seyed

Hi There Seyed- Just to let you know I have just placed all the Mahogany I am seeling on the ads page.

Back