Mahogany Consort Table - WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dodge

Established Member
Reaction score
Well having completed the Davenport and a few small jobs started on this weeks project this morning - A mahogany consort/Hall Table. You may recall I made an oak one about six months ago and whilst making this a customer saw it and asked for a similar table in mahogany.

The basic dimensions are 30" tall, with the top being 40" by 16" with fine tapered legs and a pair of narrow drawers.

Started by taking some square section stock

DSCF4548.jpg

Which was rough sawn down on the table saw to just over 40mm square

DSCF4555.jpg

Before being planed down to 40mm square on the thicknesser

DSCF4557.jpg

The taper in the legs was initially cut using a home made taper jig on the table saw, only the two inner edges were tapered leaving the outer line of the leg straight

DSCF4562.jpg

DSCF4566.jpg

The tapered edges were then planed with a jack plane (No5) leaving a nice crisp finish despite the mahogany having a very twisted/interlocking grain.

DSCF4569.jpg

The legs were duly morticed ready for the frame rails

DSCF4571.jpg

The customer had specifically requested that the top be made from a single piece of timber rather than jointed and I had a well figured board in my woodstore that had been sitting there for a number of years which was ideal for this, it also had a particularly nice grain pattern

DSCF4559.jpg

The board was duly cut and both thicknessed and then passed through the panel sander to flat the board

DSCF4561.jpg

The rest of the board was machined and used for the sides/back of the table as well as the drawer supports.

When I left this afternoon it was looking like this

DSCF4574.jpg

DSCF4573.jpg

I placed the top onto the frame, and whilst the edges are not yet moulded i think it will work quite well

DSCF4576.jpg

Tomorrow will start the the inlaying of the stringing in the top/legs before gluing the carcase up.

Nice start Rog and a hell of a bit of wood for the top :shock: But I have to say I'm disappointed...only the carcase work and top done in a day. Tsk :lol: :lol: - Rob...hat, coat etc

I've had a day off work and spent the afternoon in the workshop and made the princely sum of two small dovetailed drawers. :oops:

Best I stick with the day job to pay the bills.

Looking good as usual Roger.

Mick

The top looks like it will be pretty impressive. Hope that the customer has friends who will notice that it is from a single piece!

Hudson Carpentry":b57peaa0 said:
Wow on the piece of wood. You must have a merchants worth in your store.

I wish! No I have just accumulated wood over the years

My wood store looks like this (Some of you may remember these photos from my workshop tour thread)

One of my butts of English Yew - the boards are approx 13' long to give you an idea of size

DSCF2636.jpg

The plastic is there because the roof leaks a little if the wind blows the rain the wrong way!

DSCF2634.jpg

You can see that mahogany board leaning against the wall here

DSCF2633.jpg

The oak stock is a bit depleted at the moment - waiting for a delivery

DSCF2631.jpg

Wow! Never seen that much timber outside of a timber yard, and looks to be lots of nice stuff too! I thought I had a reasonable sized workshop - 9m x 3m approx. - but it looks as though your wood store is miles bigger! What are the walls made of as they are an unusual colour.

The table looks up to your usual high standard and I'm always amazed how quickly you can do stuff.

Takes the mick out of my wood store (8x12' I think). Although I do end up storing a lot of my wood above the beams in my workshop as the wood store is jammed full. I maybe have a 3rd of what you have laying around.

Was the mahogany what you already had in stock? I struggle to get any now.

yes Alan, the I got a large stock of mahogany many years ago but I must admit the pile is getting a bit low now :(

The orange walls are actually that sprayed foam stuff that was put on for insulation by my farmer landlord many years ago as for a period it was the dairy cold store and them later used as a hospital for their sick pigs. As with all farms though the pigs and dairy herd are long gone and the farm has diversified.

Ok so what have I been up to today??

Started by routing a 2mm groove around the top ready for the black inlay stringing line to be fitted

DSCF4580.jpg

And after gluing in the stringing put the top aside to allow the glue to cure, I then cut grooves into the front face of each front leg again with the router

DSCF4583.jpg

and after cutting in the stringing, duly mitreing the corners the stringing was also glued into the legs.

The customer only wanted the stringing in the top and front faces of the legs so with that done made some cock beaded moulding and having duly rebated the bottoms of the rails to accept this glued it into place and held with masking tape.

DSCF4585.jpg

The titebond had now cured on the stringing so the proud excess was planed off leaving the surface nice and crisp

DSCF4588.jpg

This is when you can tell if your glue has taken ok as the shavings come off looking like liquorice allsorts!

DSCF4592.jpg

The carcase for the table frame was then glued up and left in cramps for a couple of hours whilst I got on cleaning up the stringing in the top and applying the top mouldings to the edges.

DSCF4594.jpg

DSCF4603.jpg

I then got the timber machined for the drawer sides/fronts ready for dovetailing tomorrow.

The table frame and top is now complete - just the drawers to go!

DSCF4596.jpg

DSCF4606.jpg

The customer supplied me with the handles which they wish to use which I believe are ones from an old antique cabinet and are nice solid brass, not naff pressed repro ones!

DSCF4605.jpg

Its getting there!

Mailee would have finished this two days ago, whats keeping you roger!

:lol:

Adidat

P.s. very nice indeed like the solid top

Dodge":1i138ayn said:
Ok so what have I been up to today??

Started by routing a 2mm groove around the top ready for the black inlay stringing line to be fitted

DSCF4580.jpg

I stared at this photo for ages wondering what the really deep two groves were and how in the bottom photo they disappeared.

Then I enlarged it and realised it was the two pieces of stringing and shadows. :oops:

Keep up the WIP.

Mick

I may have finished it two days ago but it wouldn't have looked anything like that. LOL. That is looking really nice Rog. You certainly can get up a pace mate.

No progress today - played mechanics and serviced my land rover!

I now know why I'm a wood butcher and not a spanner jockey! :lol: :lol:

Looks lovely - stringing is such a visually impacting addition to a piece like this
Also loving that piece of mahogany
Mark

After a couple of days on other things I was back on the Side Table today and started by inserting the oval marquetry fan into the centre of the top, having marked the position I starting by initially scoring around the motif with a marking knife

DSCF4609.jpg

DSCF4610.jpg

The majority of the waste was then removed with the router free hand leaving just a small edge to remove by hand

DSCF4611.jpg

having glued the inlay in one the Titebond had cured I carefully scraped away the backing film with a freshly sharpened cabinet scraper being very careful not to cut through the veneer

DSCF4613.jpg

And after a careful sand with fine paper that was completed

DSCF4623.jpg

I then turned my attention to the drawers and got these made, inlaying the drawer fronts with the same black inlay stringing, unfortunately I cannot post many pictures of the drawer construction as my camera batteries died just as I started taking piccies so you will have to trust me that I made them!

DSCF4626.jpg

DSCF4618-1.jpg

Anyway the construction is now complete and ready for finishing which I will start on Monday with a wipe of brown mahogany spirit stain to balance the colour before polishing, obviously masking the inlay fan in the top.

Will post finished pictures next week.

Hi Roger truly inspireing work. What kind of landy do you have. My defender has decided to need a new starter motor, brake pads, track rod ends, PAS box ball joint and today clutch fork which will need the gearbox splitting. All in the last 2 weeks. :(
Mark

Back