Mahogany and Oak box with chessboard style inlay lid - finished in OSMO

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rorton

Established Member
Reaction score
Another project thread from me - this time its a continuation from my Chessboard thread - making a box to put the chess pieces in.

Started off with some mahogany:

IMG_4108.jpeg

Resawed using the table saw

IMG_4125.jpeg

First attempt at finger joints using a jig on the cross cut sled

IMG_4126.jpeg

Fingers left slightly proud and will be sanded back later

IMG_4132.jpeg

The start of a chessboard style lid, first glue up of mahogany and oak and planed flat

IMG_4135.jpeg

Making a base - decided to use some birch ply I had, as I didn't want to attempt a floating base from hardwood - and it was going to get covered in felt anyway, so you would never know - cut to size, then a rebate cut in all the way around to fit into the sides:

IMG_4146.jpeg

Once base fitted, I added some mahogany strips to hide the edges

IMG_4150.jpeg

Chessboard lid glued together, and edged in oak

IMG_4152.jpeg

Groove then cut into the lid to accept some edging ( I made 2 as I had excess material)

IMG_4157.jpeg

Edging then added
IMG_4158.jpeg

Then glued up

IMG_4161.jpeg

A rebate then cut into the lid to fit into the top of the box

IMG_4163.jpeg

Tested the lid for fitment - quite like the raised look, and was going to just stick some oak in the gap, but that was getting carried away - so I closed the gap as planned

IMG_4164.jpeg

Lid fitted, everything given a good sanding, rounded the corners etc

IMG_4167.jpeg

Totally forgot to take picture of cutting the lid, but used the table saw for this and tried to keep the size/sequence of the finger joints the same. Finished in OSMO poly Satin - also added some brass hinges and some rare earth magnets drilled and glued into the lid and box opposite the hinges to keep it shut without spoiling the aesthetic of the box with a latch/catch - that worked quite well

IMG_4171.jpeg

And finished box along with the chessboard I made - I could have carried on, and made little compartments for each chess piece, but at the moment, I have a habit of keeping on and on, and then going to far and ruining things - so I played safe and stopped at a point I was happy with (I didn't make the chess pieces though, they were purchased online)

IMG_4175.jpeg

Nice box design great fit on the joints and finish. Just a concern about allowing for wood movement between the lid panel and edging which could cause mitres to open up . Best to leave the panel floating or use veneer on a stable substrate like ply or mdf if gluing all round

Nice box design great fit on the joints and finish. Just a concern about allowing for wood movement between the lid panel and edging which could cause mitres to open up . Best to leave the panel floating or use veneer on a stable substrate like ply or mdf if gluing all round

thanks. I’m still learning with the old floating vs gluing bit so any help there gratefully apreciated. I thought that as they were such small pieces that were glued together and not one solid piece for the lid that it may not be a problem.

for future when I cut those grooves would I not put any glue at all on the tongues? Would it not move and rattle? Or is it the whole assembly sitting in the box sides?

thanks. I’m still learning with the old floating vs gluing bit so any help there gratefully apreciated. I thought that as they were such small pieces that were glued together and not one solid piece for the lid that it may not be a problem.

for future when I cut those grooves would I not put any glue at all on the tongues? Would it not move and rattle? Or is it the whole assembly sitting in the box sides?

Just glue the middle inch or two of each edge. That way it won't rattle around, but can still expand and contract with seasonal humidity variations.

I'm talking about the panel into the slots. Make the frame as you did, but the panel within it has to "float", to an extent.

Back