Magnets on wardrobe doors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Giff

Established Member
Reaction score
I am making some wardrobe doors about 2m x 350mm. The idea is to use small disc magnets set in to the door and the frame . Has anyone done this ? what do I use to stick them. What size magnets do I need ? Thanks Geoff

Just fitted some units with doors that were 700mm x 500mm x 30mm thick. The joiner used 10mm diameter magnets just fitted in tight with a bit off pva underneath. They work very well for that size door.

Yes often used them on smaller units. I use rare earth magnets set into the doors with Araldite. work great. :wink:

I've used this method successfully. You can now buy strong magnets drilled for a countersunk screw which makes fixing really easy, in a rebate or on a little block - Axminster sell them:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-countersunk-magnets-prod783398/

700305_l.jpg

Thanks for the replies. I am going to try the 10mm discs and if they are not strong enough I can double them up. The c/s ones from Axminster look really useful but it is an interesting point a reviewer made about not being able to use them c/s to c/s. Geoff

Giff":zubvgp9z said:
I am going to try the 10mm discs and if they are not strong enough I can double them up.

Geoff, in my experience it's more likely that the magnets will be too strong rather than not strong enough.

If the door's mainly made MDF or ply or chipboard it can resonate and flex when opening against the pull of the magnets, which makes the unit feel a bit cheap. I'd get the smallest magnets you can find...or have beefy oak rails and stiles!

custard":2mhazis9 said:
Giff":2mhazis9 said:
I am going to try the 10mm discs and if they are not strong enough I can double them up.

Geoff, in my experience it's more likely that the magnets will be too strong rather than not strong enough.

If the door's mainly made MDF or ply or chipboard it can resonate and flex when opening against the pull of the magnets, which makes the unit feel a bit cheap. I'd get the smallest magnets you can find...or have beefy oak rails and stiles!

Quite so - I should have said that I used them on doors that were not quite straight, so the magnets pulled them up against the stop. With these extra strong magnets I recommend using a steel washer on the door which is a slightly wobbly fit (use a screw that is nearly too small and leave it a tiny bit slack). That can compensate for any slight misalignment.

I tried this with some workshop cupboard doors, made in 3/4" redwood, about 3'-6" x 18". I used one rare earth magnet per door, about 10mm dia. x 5mm, let into a shallow hole in the doorstop, and covered with a layer of 0.7mm veneer. The door has a small steel plate let into the inside so that it's flush with the surface.

Works quite well. The doors shut with a satisfying woody clunk, and there's enough force to hold them closed. I reckon adding the veneer about halved the power of the magnet, but it improves the 'finish' markedly.

Cheshirechappie":1tgsbs22 said:
I reckon adding the veneer about halved the power of the magnet, but it improves the 'finish' markedly.

I'd never thought of that but it's a great idea, nicer finish and tailor the strength of the grip!

The magnetic base I use for a dial gauge has a magnet that delivers about 70lbs of "grip" when attached to a cast iron table, but a lever operated mechanism reduces this to more like 5lb just by raising the magnet a few mill.

Latest posts

Back