Magnetism

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A.R

Reaction score
Does anyone know if it is possible to magnetise the "Phillips"type of bit that fits into electric screw drivers. I want it magnetic enough to hold on to a steel wood screw to make it easier to drive screws into wood above your head.?

The easiest way is to mount the bit on a strong magnet for a few days. A magnetic tool rack will do, Stand it on its end. I doubt if you'll be able to hold more than a small screw, though.

I have used the IIangatwgnedd method for years since being taught this magnetising method in Physics at school.
You can also use it on any conventional screwdriver - only takes a couple of mins. If you want the effect to be stronger then stroke the drive/bit/bit holder on the magnet a little longer.
A source of a strong magnet will be found by dismantling a old computer hard drive, they are surprisingly strong magnets.

I've struggled for some time with magnetic bit holders as a kitchen fitter, often trying to get a fixing in an awkward place to reach. Have recently tried the Wera bit holder from Toolstation, very impressed, so impressed I returned and bought the longer version, well worth the extra pennies over cheap versions...
Toolstation Product Code: 43259 and the longer one 90174.

Hi Ian P, yes I always use Wera bits, last for ages. The worst bit holder I ever had was a Dewalt one, I had to use pliers to get the bit out and it was just generally wobbly, their bits don’t last very long either. Ian

Back