Magnetic magic.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah, I see! that is a little better, now I understand it. It is brilliant they way it works. I used six of the 5mm Axminster magnets with a length of copper tube about 4' long and it took a few seconds to emerge at the bottom. :eek: :D

All you need to do now is to wind a copper wire coil around your pipe. About 10,000 coils should do it and get a ouple of those magnets and when one is about 1/2 way down drop the other one. Connect the coil to a battery and you could charge it in a couple of daze continuous magnet dropping 8) 8) 8)

Free power for life 8) How cool is that :mrgreen:

Jonzjob":wr54nlpb said:
All you need to do now is to wind a copper wire coil around your pipe. About 10,000 coils should do it and get a ouple of those magnets and when one is about 1/2 way down drop the other one. Connect the coil to a battery and you could charge it in a couple of daze continuous magnet dropping 8) 8) 8)

Or use the current to power a torch like this

800px-Linear_induction_flashlight.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanically-powered_flashlight

AndyT":19u8a9dk said:
Jonzjob":19u8a9dk said:

Or use the current to power a torch like this

800px-Linear_induction_flashlight.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanically-powered_flashlight

We have these at school. The 15 year old boys seem particularly good at charging them!!

It should also work with aluminium pipe - generally anything diamagnetic with a low enough resistance to set up a really, really good eddy current.

The DC's got one of those 'repelling' pencils somewhere. It looks really neat, hovering about 1" above its holder.

@Jacob, +1 for the plastic bag trick for picking up filings - been doing it that way for years. If you're collecting grindings though, you may need a fairly thick bag. The magnet I use will perforate freezer bags with the iron whiskers if I"m not careful. The sort from ironmongery, etc. seem to work well.

Jonzjob":1mefh1my said:
Surely, that could be taken as sexist? Don't the girls do just as well :? :? :? :?:

Different wrist action...same thing for swirling the flask when doing titrations; no problems for the boys, but the girls are rubbish!

Latest posts

Back