Magma Bubble

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnny.t.

Established Member
Reaction score
Firstly 'Happy New Year' all 8)

I hope the title of this is pretty self explanatory with regards to design but to be a bit more specific this is inspired by the way underwater erupting lava looks, the way it quickly cools and goes dark then suddenly cracks open as more lava breaks the cooled crust.
The piece is 5" tall minus the finial, carved, pyrograph textured, airbrushed and coloured with acrylic on the top and bottom parts. The finial is aluminium to tie into the silver applied to the black textured parts.
Comments and critiques welcomed.

magmalittle008.jpg

A very striking and original idea. I think the colours and textures express your concept beautifully. My only slight reservation is that I`m not sure how well the formal style of the finial matches the free flowing nature of the body. Nevertheless, a cracking piece!

ian

Very effective, the magma colouring is absolutely perfect, but as Silverbirch says I don't think the finial fits. Overall brilliant.

Hi Johnny,
Happy New Year and its good to see you have recharged you imagination over the festive period.
I like the piece very much and i think the colour and texture are great but as with the other guys I cant see why you needed to include the finial. May I say as finials go it is pleasing on its own but not really with this piece.
All the best from East Yorkshire.
Regards,
Ian

Happy New Year Johnny and many of them.
Like the piece ,can see it as you ment it to be seen
but as the fellows say no need for the finial
makes it look "made" if you know what I mean

My thoughts on this are

it looks to tall

Would it not be better to make the shape wider to increase the flow ( like a flying saucer or scone shape ) with wider top and bottom crusts

If it was a box yes I see the need for a finial , as its a artistic piece in my opinion it does not need one

but again ( who am I ! )

similarly to the comments above, the finial doesnt seem an integral part of the object as a whole.
if it were me (i wish =P~ )
.. i think it would look more 'natural' if it were on three 'finial' legs (similar to, but without the top one) and then have the erupting 'egg' presented at a very slight angle .maybe? maybe not!
apart from that, not bad :wink: :mrgreen:

Back