• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to UK Workshop and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Sold Magma Black Line Titan 315 Woodturning Lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't get me wrong - this is a REALLY great lathe
I agree, someone should grab this - it's not cheap, but a lifetime investment ( as is a good Wadkin ! )
At the risk of being a party pooper, it appears to be a private sale of a used machine offered at almost the same price as buying a brand new one with warranty direct from magma and paying the import duties. Sorry !

At the risk of being a party pooper, it appears to be a private sale of a used machine offered at almost the same price as buying a brand new one with warranty direct from magma and paying the import duties. Sorry !
Yes this is a private sale of a lathe that has only been used a few times, namely demonstrating at the European Show and a few times at Classic Hand Tools.

I think you are possibly confusing the different models i.e. the cast and fabricated versions. A brand new Titan 315 would cost in the region of £7000 but they are no longer made since the introduction of the cast version i.e. 315G. The Titan 400 is priced at 8150 Euros roughly £7000 at today's rate without import duties etc.

To the best of my knowledge and from experience Magma Tools have never adhered to a strict warranty period. Their after sales service is second to none.

Last edited:
With Mark's explanation, I agree that I wasn't comparing like with like. I simply referenced the manufacturer's website for prices of the current models which are the G series. I noticed that a simple 315 designation wasn't listed so couldn't determine the difference.
Magma's marketing has In the past made a virtue of their choice to fabricate the lathes from alloy steel rather than use cast iron. If the current 315G lathe has moved towards incorporation of castings to reduce costs then Mark has been missing a trick in his description of his lathe. Sometimes the older versions of a machine are built to higher standards than the current products and rightly become sought after.

With Mark's explanation, I agree that I wasn't comparing like with like. I simply referenced the manufacturer's website for prices of the current models which are the G series. I noticed that a simple 315 designation wasn't listed so couldn't determine the difference.
Magma's marketing has In the past made a virtue of their choice to fabricate the lathes from alloy steel rather than use cast iron. If the current 315G lathe has moved towards incorporation of castings to reduce costs then Mark has been missing a trick in his description of his lathe. Sometimes the older versions of a machine are built to higher standards than the current products and rightly become sought after.
All the Titan lathes are built to a very high specification as you would expect with them being designed by a German woodturner/engineer, Markus - for example the bearing on a 315 or 400 will operate happily at speeds up to 7000 rpm ...lathe only goes up to 3000 rpm and carry 2 tons; rather than the cheaper adjustable locking handles genuine kip handles are used; the headstock spindle is 60mm diameter; bearing placement etc :)
The move to using cast for the bed of the G series came about because a source was found which could satisfy the high spec required by Markus and Magma. And yes casting is cheaper than fabricating hence the G series being lower in price.
At the end of the day you get what you pay for :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back