Magic sponge for pencil marks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs C

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just discovered a slightly damp magic (aka melamine) sponge is a really easy way to get pencil marks off wood. Apart from raising the grain a little, is there any reason why this is a bad idea?

They seem to clean a whole load of other stuff really well as well!

Believe it or not, the very best way of getting pencil marks off wood is with a rubber eraser, exactly the same as for paper. I keep one in my workshop and use it all the time.

Rubber.... (eraser, not the other sort), followed by a fine set card-scraper if the pencil has left an impression in the surface.

Also consider using a soft pencil - you do have to look after the point more than with HB or harder, but the graphite can be removed more easily, in my experience.

Personally, after using an ordinary rubber, I wipe with meths, as that doesn't seem to raise grain as easily.

You can also get "putty rubbers" from artists' supplies shops (Windsor and Newton is one brand I've bought). They can be kneaded into shape for use when drawing, but they remove pencil and charcoal marks far better than ordinary rubbers do.
https://www.google.com/search?q=artists+putty+rubber

And the crepe rubber sticks used for cleaning up sanding belts, etc. also work really well - I just cut a corner off with a Stanley knife...

E.

I've found in the past that Blu-Tac (other squidgy, sticky, blobbies are available) works when other options are unavailable. Cheers, W2S

MikeG.":i1wu0ejx said:
Believe it or not, the very best way of getting pencil marks off wood is with a rubber eraser, exactly the same as for paper. I keep one in my workshop and use it all the time.
Yep, absolutely...works a treat- Rob

Back