magic gouges

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nev

Established Member
Reaction score
watching Mr Lucas weilding his tools, its quite obvious that there is some dark magic afoot. :evil:
In this video ... http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9VRRUv1BrxI (posted in another thread by Aled), he uses, i think, a skew and an interestingly shaped spindle/bowl gouge.
Questions: Is that really a skew he uses for roughing? and whats the type of grind he uses on, and the size of, and where can i get, the spindle (or bowl) gouge? :?: I want one =P~

I think the whole point of that video is the viewer is so impressed he or she rushes off and buys the dvd.

But it was pretty cool

Adidat

That skew roughing cut isn't for the faint hearted, but a nice chunky skew helps a lot, I've tried it with an oval skew a few times and didn't like it one bit! I think his is a flat skew with rolled (rounded) edges which I've been meaning to get my hands on for a while.

The gouge Glenn's using is a 1/2" spindle gouge, he says in one of hid DVD's that if he could only have one tool that would be it, it's possible to turn both spindles and small bowls with it.

Cheers
Aled

I haven't seen the video (can't download on this machine) but have several skews I use for roughing on spindle work. If it's Glen Lucas I assume it's on bowls which I admit I haven't tried. Oval skews are pretty lightweight and I use one for fine shaving but have a chunky one for roughing and general shaping. Once I gt over the initial fear I found it was the tool I use most .

Pete

Bodrighy":1boz6qtv said:
I haven't seen the video (can't download on this machine) but have several skews I use for roughing on spindle work. If it's Glen Lucas I assume it's on bowls which I admit I haven't tried. Oval skews are pretty lightweight and I use one for fine shaving but have a chunky one for roughing and general shaping. Once I gt over the initial fear I found it was the tool I use most .

Pete

Yes I can see how a rectangular skew would be far more rigid. I'll have to buy one to have a go at roughing, it seems a very efficient process.

By the way, Glenn is roughing a "spindle" blank and makes a spinning top, egg cup and a little bowl in just over 3 minutes.

Cheers
Aled

If you use a skew for roughing a spindle you need a heavy one of at least an inch if the spindle is of any size. Mine is 1 1/4" carbon steel that I got at a wood fest and rehandled. I give it a quick burst on the stone just before using each time. I also have a sharp angle on it and no curve.

Pete

I must admit that i use a skew on pen blanks for the whole process from roughing to finish but its no comparison to the speed and amount of timber removed by Glen.
Its the wide range of cuts and shaping that Glen manages with the spindle gouge that impresses me the most. He may be just a tad more proficient than myself but nonetheless I still want one:)

The only time I use anything like a skew to rough down spindles or anything between centres is to use this.
DSCN3194 (Large).JPG
DSCN3195 (Large).JPG

A lump of Ashley Iles Steel, 30mm wide that I profiled as a trial, but I don't do enough spindle work to get the best out of the versatility of the profile for general shaping.

Attachments

• DSCN3194 (Large).JPG
    DSCN3194 (Large).JPG
    114 KB · Views: 1,536
  • DSCN3195 (Large).JPG
    DSCN3195 (Large).JPG
    120.5 KB · Views: 1,554
Glenn Lucas has been away in the US on a teaching and demo tour for the past number of weeks so havent confirmed this with him .
About a year ago when talking to him he suggested to me that I should get some shallow fluted gouges ,he said they would be better for me as they would not clog up as easy as deep fluted ones . I would say that is one of them he is using in the video . Not the way I would use it but he'll learn :lol:
I did get some (the Toolpost) but I think they have changed the description since .I would say that as regards grinding I find it much easier for me to put whatever grind I want on them .
If you look at old tools very few that I have seem have these narrow flutes that you get now and somehow or other the turnings was as good then as it is now :roll:

Hello,

I have watched the clip. The turner uses a "parting style cut", so almost any straight bladed, wide turning tool would suffice for such a cut, a straight skew, a single bevel straight chisel (bedan), or a wide parting tool. This is a safe cut on smaller diameters (under 80 mm or so) and on not too hard or knotty wood. But a roughing out gouge (either English pattern or Continental) is the best (and safest) tool for roughing out.

Have a nice day,

János

Robbo3":3e661ohg said:
nev":3e661ohg said:
watching Mr Lucas weilding his tools, its quite obvious that there is some dark magic afoot. :evil:
In this video ... http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9VRRUv1BrxI (posted in another thread by Aled), he uses, i think, a skew and an interestingly shaped spindle/bowl gouge.

Can I just add a corrected link for those of us using a PC,
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VRRUv1BrxI

:)

Robbo

cheers Robbo, interesting, but i am/was using a pc and didnt have any issues viewing it (linux/ firefox). purely out of interest has anyone else had any problems?

The original link took me to a page with a few thumbnails but none of the links on that page worked for me using a PC with Chrome. The link Robbo posted took me directly to the video.

Bob

nev":3e87mqgy said:
Robbo3":3e87mqgy said:
nev":3e87mqgy said:

Can I just add a corrected link for those of us using a PC,
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VRRUv1BrxI

:)

Robbo

cheers Robbo, interesting, but i am/was using a pc and didnt have any issues viewing it (linux/ firefox). purely out of interest has anyone else had any problems?
The original link worked for me too, but is to the mobile version of YouTube (m.) rather than the normal version (www.)

bobham":1krh12ha said:
The original link took me to a page with a few thumbnails but none of the links on that page worked for me using a PC with Chrome. The link Robbo posted took me directly to the video.

Bob

Mine was the same as Bob's

Terry

CHJ":mr2bilg7 said:
The only time I use anything like a skew to rough down spindles or anything between centres is to use this..

Chas - that's actually a machete..

Back