Magazines

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Popped into Tesco...

~10 different sewing magazines
~10 different gardening magazines
~10 different craft magazines
~ 6 different train magazines
Bloody cats and dogs magazines

.. you get the idea

Not a single woodworking magazine

Did I mention theres a bloody Cat magazine?

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

The internet was invented for sharing cat photos. Fact. Pretty sure magazines were too. All* hail our fur spewing feline masters.
0eac6c54f1c5b52cfdb840a9e060bce7.jpg

*Except you obviously ;)

Our Local W.H.Smith carried quite a good range of woodworking magazines at one point, not sure whether they still do or not, haven't been in for years!

I subscribe to the digital version of fine woodworking and so can download the current editions to my ipad.

I also use Readly (about £8 per month - www.readly.com ) and currently there is Popular Woodworking and Woodsmith magazines - as well as a ton of other stuff. If you want a referral for a start up test (give them two months of reading fun for only £0.99) - PM me your email address. In the interest of being open, I will receive a free month subscription for each person who subscribes from a referral, but TBH i'm not that fussed about credits - I've been a subscriber for over a year now, and the 2 WW mags make it worth my while. The rest of the magazines I class as a bonus.

Ian

probably the last magazine I bought was in 2012, they gradually stopped stocking all the good ones over the last decade, I decided I'm done with them a long time ago, there's always mortise and tenon magazine, haven't bought one but it seems good and I've been tempted with the lastest issues.

I wasn't looking to buy one, just wanted a squiz.

I genuinely dont get it though, I'd have thought the ratio of knitting to wood working would be about the same. Guess not.

'Popular Woodworking' is available via the PressReader(.com) website or app. You can get free access to this via your public library if they subscribe to this service.

To be honest, the best content now seems to be on Forums, YouTube, and perhaps Patreon.
It's the evolution of information delivery.

I still prefer to read physical books, but when it comes to practical things (like woodworking), I prefer online material.

Perhaps not totally legit but ……….

Mod Edit: Content removed,
(4.) No Piracy
Discussion of illegal activities such as software, music, video & DVD piracy and other intellectual property violations are not allowed.

Yes. But Creators don't get paid by Forums and, unless you have 4000 HOURS of viewing in the PREVIOUS 12 MONTHS, you don't get paid a penny from YouTube. So you have to work for nothing and hope. My ratings are currently at HALF what I need. It's never going to happen, realistically. And most Patreoners earn peanuts. The really most excellent ones earn a very modest income from quite a lot of work.
Sadly, most people expect to get whatever information (and, for that matter, entertainment) they want without having to spend a single penny for it. And those of us who enjoy creating that product have to accept that it is a hobby we have to be prepared to pay for ourselves.
Oh woe is me (especially having just done my tax return...).

Steve Maskery":v6o4kd5h said:
Yes. But Creators don't get paid by Forums and, unless you have 4000 HOURS of viewing in the PREVIOUS 12 MONTHS, they don't get paid a penny from YouTube. So you have to work for nothing and hope. My ratings are currently at HALF what I need. It's never going to happen, realistically. And most Patreoners earn peanuts. The really most excellent ones earn a very modest income from quite a lot of work.
Sadly, most people expect to get whatever information (and, for that matter, entertainment) without having to spend a single penny for it. And those of us who enjoy creating that product have to accept that it is a hobby we have to be prepared to pay for ourselves.
Oh woe is me (especially having just done my tax return...).
I hear you. I'm just pointing out how information is created and consumed now, as opposed to the magazine era.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

HJC1972":3f95qe85 said:
Perhaps not totally legit ......

What do you mean, "not totally"? It's NOT AT ALL legit. It is theft of intellectual property and damages the livelihoods of every author, film-maker and every other content-creator out there. This should be stamped out, not publicised!

It's marketing. If the content is a) good enough b) in demand and c) properly marketed then it will sell. This is VERY difficult to achieve for niche products. The realistic market for woodwork is middle aged and over. People with time, and money for tools and materials.

It takes a long time to build a good web presence. There are a few online woodworkers who have, eg Rob Cosman, and there are several income streams (such as tool sales and manufacture). He uses YT to drag traffic to his website, which has a subscription model. (I have not bitten, but I might).

Magazines are dead. DVDs are dead. Such is life.

AJB Temple":v9168okc said:
It's marketing. If the content is a) good enough b) in demand and c) properly marketed then it will sell. This is VERY difficult to achieve for niche products. The realistic market for woodwork is middle aged and over. People with time, and money for tools and materials.

It takes a long time to build a good web presence. There are a few online woodworkers who have, eg Rob Cosman, and there are several income streams (such as tool sales and manufacture). He uses YT to drag traffic to his website, which has a subscription model. (I have not bitten, but I might).

Magazines are dead. DVDs are dead. Such is life.
You missed the point I was trying to make. Id agree that magazines are being phased out, but 10+ knitting magazines and not a single woodworking one. Its bizzare.

transatlantic":1so2x32n said:
You missed the point I was trying to make. Id agree that magazines are being phased out, but 10+ knitting magazines and not a single woodworking one. Its bizzare.
Maybe that's to do with who does the shopping at tesco and is driven by gender interest.

Chris152":85snjvp2 said:
transatlantic":85snjvp2 said:
Maybe that's to do with who does the shopping at tesco and is driven by gender interest.
There were 5+ cycling, 3 air soft, 5+ golf etc

So yeah, not to be sexist, but those are largely male oriented.

How are there more people interested in trains than woodworking ...

transatlantic":2uqz3d4s said:
I wasn't looking to buy one, just wanted a squiz.

Maybe that's the problem. If no one buys them they won't be on the shelf.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Back