Magazines

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Selwyn":2v0448bt said:
You dont have to use netflix. YouTube, prime, bfi, play etc all stream rental movies

Well aware of that. They're all much of a muchness IMO although not thought about BFI. Play is also a new one on me. Films on Youtube ? I wasn't aware of these.

EDIT: BFI looks very promising and so many thanks for that.

Google Play....same load of junk as the rest.

Tried Prime...ditto

Apple is a little better as it does have a sensible way of listing films...such as a dedicated French film section, international etc.

Actually we're on a hiding to nothing because we're at the mercy of the film studios, We find less and less coming out that we want to watch.

RogerS":m49s0cm5 said:
Selwyn":m49s0cm5 said:
You dont have to use netflix. YouTube, prime, bfi, play etc all stream rental movies

Well aware of that. They're all much of a muchness IMO although not thought about BFI. Play is also a new one on me. Films on Youtube ? I wasn't aware of these.

EDIT: BFI looks very promising and so many thanks for that.

Google Play....same load of junk as the rest.

Tried Prime...ditto

Apple is a little better as it does have a sensible way of listing films...such as a dedicated French film section, international etc.

Actually we're on a hiding to nothing because we're at the mercy of the film studios, We find less and less coming out that we want to watch.

Well, there are a number of reasons why films are all rubbish.

Firstly, films are made to make money, normally at the box office. This means they have to appeal to Americans, because that's where the vast majority of box-office profits come from.

Secondly, films are made to appeal to the average person, and we have all met "average" people, have we not? The average American person seems to like things that go bang.

I now rate films by explosion, because the quality of the explosion is all that differentiates most Hollywood output. The plot, actors, script etc is all fully automated generic story, but the explosions and fireballs are the only things that stand out. At least that's how it seems to me.

All is not lost, because any day now you won't need real people to make a film. What is cutting edge at Disney and universal at the moment is available to your average laptop in 10 years time, and Ja Ja Binks was created out of nothing 20 years ago. I am hopeful that we are in the last years of Hollywood having the monopoly on two sex scenes and a happy ending. In a few years you will be able to make your own films, and so will everyone else. It will be chaos, but interesting. At least the Oscars will have less relevance, as will the virtue-signalling silly person actors.

Theres loads of good films out there you can stream for £2.50 from a range of streaming sites. Skip the Hollywood stuff and find loads of glorious stuff in world and independent cinema. Films have never been so accessible.

Look at some movie of the year sites and find plenty to watch. Korean cinema is good too

Selwyn":1labmaz9 said:
Theres loads of good films out there you can stream for £2.50 from a range of streaming sites. Skip the Hollywood stuff and find loads of glorious stuff in world and independent cinema. Films have never been so accessible.

Look at some movie of the year sites and find plenty to watch. Korean cinema is good too
Yep. Or buy DVDs from ebay. Almost everything is available for very little, except for most recent productions.
Recently watched "Ash Is Purest White" brilliant film. Not bought the dvd yet it'll be cheaper in a few months!

Trainee neophyte":2rkqgmq8 said:

Well, there are a number of reasons why films are all rubbish............
Probably just seems like that because all the films you choose to watch are rubbish! :lol:
Broaden your outlook a bit? There's some brilliant stuff out there.

It's seems that these days, the biggest issue is finding good writers. I've had to stop so many TV shows, films etc (mostly on Netflix) half way through because the script turns stupid. Characters making stupid decisions. Characters not questioning things. Massive continuity issues. Complete episodes that go off on tangents that add nothing to the storyline (stretching seasons out?). Unrealisticly convenient events that get characters out of almost impossible situations.

Yes I know they're just movies, but a little realism goes a long way.

Selwyn":3hsecar3 said:

Is there a website that lists these independent and world sites ?

RogerS":ayrntj5l said:
Selwyn":ayrntj5l said:

https://www.bfi.org.uk/explore-film-tv/ ... rld-cinema

And for even less money, don't overlook Talking Pictures TV. It's a free channel on all the TV platforms which shows old British films. Lots of classics, plenty of minor but interesting stuff. Not many explosions.

https://talkingpicturestv.co.uk/

Jacob":39mtye8t said:
RogerS":39mtye8t said:
Selwyn":39mtye8t said:

https://www.bfi.org.uk/explore-film-tv/ ... rld-cinema

Thanks Jacob...but only interested in streaming.

RogerS":3ivlig9i said:
Selwyn":3ivlig9i said:

I'm not sure. One thing worth doing is a google of films of the year 2019/18/17/16 or something, films of the decade, top korean films, mark kermode films, tv reviewer films etc and you can soon get yourself into a world of films which may not have had the oxygen on release but are nontheless really good. Even some good action films have passed me by - I'd never heard of John Wick but the film I watched last night was great.

There is good stuff out there

I had a subscription via Magazine Cafe, and not receive the Jan/Feb and Mar/Apr. It turns out the since beginning of 2021 (Direct from FW customer service):

'Fine Woodworking has stopped selling our core issues on the newsstand

across the board (in the US and elsewhere). However, the annual Tools &

Shops issue as well as special issues will be available on the

newsstand.

Since you subscribed to FWW though an agent, the magazine is no longer

available from them. But if you subscribe directly from us, you can

still get the magazine. Go to www.finewoodworking.com [1] and click

on the Subscribe button on the top right.'

Latest posts

Back