Magazine Rack

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humanfish

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
This is the latest project i have completed at college, it is a veneered magazine rack. The 'solid looking' (that's the idea) half is an MDF half box using biscuits, the other half is mdf pre-veneered and finished and stuck together alternating the open slats. I then veneered all the side's and then the top. For the brown oak pieces i routed out a very shallow 0.6mm groove to veneer these pieces into. I'm sorry i didn't take any work in progress but it tend to forget at college and my phone isn't up to much. Suffice to say it looked quite simple on paper but it proved to be an interesting test of my veneering skills :shock: (only my second time).

magazine-rack-1.jpg

MAGAZINE-RACK-009.jpg

MAGAZINE-RACK-005.jpg

MAGAZINE-RACK-006.jpg

MAGAZINE-RACK-003.jpg

MAGAZINE-RACK-002.jpg

MAGAZINE-RACK-004.jpg

MAGAZINE-RACK-008.jpg

very interesting design, i like it alot. I guess the 'solid' bit could be used as a kind of side table for a lamp or a cuppa. Well Done.

Very Nice! What technique did you use to veneer the slatted sides - just clamp pressure or a vac bag? I am just on the verge of trying veneering for the first time once work commitments allow, although I think I will start with flat panels first :D

Steve.

thanks everyone
the solid part is definately big enough to hold something and it's not too low either.

The next project is a hall chair, i am thinking of doing one similar to this

chair.jpg

Should be interesting, it will be my first time doing lathe work and we have to use the overhead router for the chair back.

Back