Mafell MT55C users - help and advice please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichD1

Established Member
Reaction score
Just about decided to buy the Mafell especially as now the prices are lower than the Festool. I will mainly use it for sheet material work but must also be able to do 30mm to 35mm door jamb adjustments and about 43mm for casement work both for hardwood and softwood.

Having watched and read the many reviews I still have a couple of questions that one seems to discuss.

Is the MT55 about to be updated? I'm wondering as the prices have been reduced recently?
Do you cut the splinter guard when the saw is first used?
To cut accurately on any material do you align the splinter guard with your pencilled marks on the material you are cutting?
Is the lack of a T slot on the track like the Festool provide any problems?
How long does the splinter guard last when handled correctly and used by a DIYer?
How do you attach the dust extraction hose? There appears to be a serrated area on the output which looks like it should take an adapter?
What size hose will fit the output?
Does the power lead come with full length UK mains cable? I've seen videos with small lengths and a connector on it.

I'm sure there will be other questions but answers to the above will probably seal the deal.

Richard

I've just bought one and am really pleased with it. I was going to buy the Festool (having tried one) but they were suddenly not available and then came back with a price increase which I actually think this did me a favour.

Comments added to your questions:

Is the MT55 about to be updated? I'm wondering as the prices have been reduced recently?

Not that I am aware. I think Mafell may be stepping up their presence in the UK - just started to be stocked by Axminster.

Do you cut the splinter guard when the saw is first used?

Yes

To cut accurately on any material do you align the splinter guard with your pencilled marks on the material you are cutting?

Yes

Is the lack of a T slot on the track like the Festool provide any problems?

No - and it's much easier to connect the track together with Mafell than Festool

How long does the splinter guard last when handled correctly and used by a DIYer?

I"m six weeks in and using it to build cabinets for my workshop. They are still as good as new.

How do you attach the dust extraction hose? There appears to be a serrated area on the output which looks like it should take an adapter?

I bought a reducer for the hose on my Record Extractor and it just pushes into the connection

What size hose will fit the output?
https://mafell-users-forum.freeforums.net/thread/68/mt55cc-dust-collection
Does the power lead come with full length UK mains cable? I've seen videos with small lengths and a connector on it.

Mine has a full size (4m?) cable.

That's brilliant. Thanks.

I remembered one other question. How do you use the 1.6 metre track on small boards say 500mm wide? Has anyone cut the 1.6M track in half?

Richard

I think Festool are about to update theirs in April - maybe that is the issue regarding prices and availability?

Also you mention the MT55C in the heading but MT55 in the body. Could that explain the price differences you see?

I think Festool are about to update theirs in April - maybe that is the issue regarding prices and availability?

Also you mention the MT55C in the heading but MT55 in the body. Could that explain the price differences you see?
There was a thread on the Festool update about a week ago on here. Pretty sure it concluded it was fairly minimal and mainly involved a thinner blade?

Blackswanwood covered it perfectly.

I am on the original splitergiard still and have had mine at least a couple of years. Still fine. Had plenty of use.

I use three lengths of 1.8 metre track for sheet work: 2 joined together for length cuts, single for cross cuts. Short track for bench work. Mine connects perfectly to my Festool trade rated vac. I think it is the perfect tracks. Scribe feature is brilliant, and the saw has lots of power - never bogs down. Blade change is a doddle and dust collection is near 100%.

The tracks stick to sheet work well - I only use the clamps when I am being super fastidious or on short lengths.

The only thing I have to add is that the track clamps on mine (about 4 years old) are a right pain in the nether regions. I hear the new (trigger style) clamps are much better. Hopefully this will be of use for anyone considering buying an older, used MT55CC

All I’d add is I’d suggest you stick to the same brand blades, I tried a cheaper option & whilst the kerf of the carbide tips were the same the thickness of the body of the blade was thinner, only slightly but enough to result in the cheap blade recutting the splinter strip.

I think the price has been lowered probably because this time of year they would have sold more especialy at tool shows but since covid its not happening.

Most to of the answers has been answered.
I chose the maffell/bosch rail over the festool because of the connection type.
It's so much more easier to connect and less hassle.
Festool uses 2 connection one at the top and one at the bottom where as the Mafell/Bosch only uses one.

The extaction hose connects directly to the machine with no adapter, you can connect the hoover inside of it or outside of it depending on your connection type.

Just to second the power lead is 4 metre, it is long and does not require an extension.

Ive had mine over 1 year now and no issues at all, it is a beast of a machine.

The precision of lining up the pencil mark against the track and cutting it is awsome.
you know that saw will hit the pencil mark.

As for the track and cutting them, yes you can cut them and Ive seen a few people cut them.
I havent cut mine instead I bought the Bosch fsn 1600x2 from data tool, there normally around £130 mark with the bag and connector.

Then I bought the 800 rail with clamps and router attachment which acts as a 32mm pin hole guide as well.
(FSN OFA 32 KIT 800 System Accessories | Bosch Professional)

There are great deals at the moment with the rails so this is the time to get one.

Back