Mafell AD160 Planer/thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ado

Reaction score
I saw this demonstrated at a woodworking show recently and the finish on some oak lengths was impressive. It looks like a unique machine given it's tiny dimensions and low weight (17kg) but on closer inspection the fixed fence and add-on tilting fence seemed a bit flimsy and easily flexed by moderate pressure. Has anyone got experience of this machine in their workshop? Although I'm tempted by the small size, at a snip under £500 I could easily buy seperate machines of good quality. :?:

Hi Ado,

Welcome to the forum.

Although Mafell do have some good products you could do a lot better for your money. As you said you could buy separates or if you want a combined planer/thicknesser you can get a SIP for between £350 and £400 depending on where you shop. This model is the same as the Elektra Beckum 260m which itself is a very good planer/thicknesser. In fact the Electra Beckum is only about £580.
Axminster also sell this machine under their Perform name for only £389

If you wanted a cast iron combo Axminster have the excellent AW106PT for £599.

I am sure if you look around you can find lots more for around this price.

Good luck.

Mike.C

If you wanted a cast iron combo Axminster have the excellent AW106PT for £599.
This is the same machine by Fox F22-565 selling at £586 or less. I have one of these and a great machine, I have seen the Mafell you mention and decided on the Fox as it is a more substantial machine and excellent finish.

Hi Ado, I used to own one of those, it was my first planer thicknesser!

It's not a bad machne and for smaller projects I think it's fine, it would also make a fine machine to use on site as it's light enought to transport about. The build quality was a bit lacking though, the up/down handle is made of something just slightly better than Plasticine, I had to make a metal insert for mine, the fence is also a bit flimsy but is OK.

I agree with Mike.C - there are more substantial machines around, particularly the Axminster and EB models for a similar amount of money.

while all the comments that have been mentioned are valid, this machine is designed for people with little or no space for a bigger machine and there are not many truly portable planer thicknessers on the market.. The only correction I would like to make is about the handle, the handle is designed to be a weak point so that when the r/f rods are clogged up with sawdust etc, the handle will give before the threaded rods do, so avoiding any undue strain that might be put on them by trying to turn it too hard. The fixed fence is rigid when fastened on but there is some movement with the tilting fence in position. Disposable/ reversable twin edged blades at about £13.00 per pair means that blades are not expensive either.

Its not the size, its what you do with it that counts.

menatnma......

Menatnma wrote:-

The only correction I would like to make is about the handle, the handle is designed to be a weak point so that when the r/f rods are clogged up with sawdust etc, the handle will give before the threaded rods do, so avoiding any undue strain that might be put on them by trying to turn it too hard.

Still should'nt break the handle. Should have had a shear pin designed in or should have been designed to prevent the threads clogging. Poor design by the sound of it.

John

John they wont put a pin in you could change for pence when they can sell you a knob for £13 its what they call a money spinner. Even in my game (heating) most knob on new appliance are made to break before you damage a more expensive component.

Back