made my first Roubo style Pencil Gauge (mahogany)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thetyreman

Established Member
Reaction score
I finished making my first gauge today, finally worked out what to do with some genuine mahogany I've had for over a year, it is slightly over 1 inch thick stock.

it's a roubo style gauge which I got the idea from here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avS4C5AzfJE&t=534s

I'm thinking of making at least 2 more from the same stock, definitely a cutting gauge

they feel surprisingly light in the hand and much nicer feeling than say a vintage marples cutting gauge

I finished it with liberon superior danish oil but it needs a few more coats yet,

mahogany is absolutely amazing wood to work, this was a project I really enjoyed a lot.

It's a tool I hope to use for many years to come,

hope you like it,

regards,

Ben.

Attachments

• pencil_gauge-1.jpg
    pencil_gauge-1.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 916
  • pencil_gauge-2.jpg
    pencil_gauge-2.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 916
  • pencil_gauge-3.jpg
    pencil_gauge-3.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 916
  • pencil_gauge-4.jpg
    pencil_gauge-4.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 915
That looks nice.

Who or what is this "Roubo"? So many things seem to be "Roubo-style" on here these days. I'm going to have to go and look it up.

This is a tip that Derek Jones, editor of F&C, posted on InstaG some while back. If you drill a slightly smaller hole and run a 6mm bolt through the it, the bolt will tap a thread in the wood; then use a round pencil and wind it in to the depth needed. Simple, but it works - Rob

MikeG.":3s8u2x6x said:
That looks nice.

Who or what is this "Roubo"? So many things seem to be "Roubo-style" on here these days. I'm going to have to go and look it up.

apparently the wedge is different to an english style gauge, which is wedged along the shaft, these ones are adjusted with a dowel or wedge through the head, it's credited to roubo because he first published drawings of it, but it'll be a lot older I'm guessing, I'm surprised that this style of gauge isn't more widely used.

on another note the dowel I used was supposed to be the other way around, currently you have to use your index finger to lock it in place on the back side but it's supposed to be where you push it with your thumb towards the back on the front side, this is simply because I got the angle the wrong way around, so I'll get it right on my next one hopefully. :lol:

That looks tidy Ben.
2 questions.
I'm missing how the dowel locks the stem in place? Is it a tapered friction fit?
Is that a 45 degree angle on the underside? I'm guessing there's a specific use that's blindingly obvious but I just can't picture it atm. :?

So the dowel is a cam? Nice. Very clean crisp lines and edges.

If I'm understanding the cam action is backwards, you could always claim this is a "leftie" version and make another as a "rightie".

I've got 2 marking gauges by made Racers that were made as an opposite pair. (and signed too! No you can't have them) :)

Bm101":2f7e824r said:
That looks tidy Ben.
2 questions.
I'm missing how the dowel locks the stem in place? Is it a tapered friction fit?
Is that a 45 degree angle on the underside? I'm guessing there's a specific use that's blindingly obvious but I just can't picture it atm. :?

yes it's a tapered friction fit, you mark out the dowel with it inside then cut out that waste and taper it in, actually I've got some photos of it here, glad I took them now:

inside_the_gauge-1.jpg

inside_the_gauge-2.jpg

inside_the_gauge-3.jpg

inside_the_gauge-4.jpg

inside_the_gauge-5.jpg

also regarding the bevel it makes it feel a bit more comfortable and is optional, I thought it felt a bit too bulky without one.

Attachments

• inside_the_gauge-1.jpg
    inside_the_gauge-1.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 763
  • inside_the_gauge-2.jpg
    inside_the_gauge-2.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 764
  • inside_the_gauge-3.jpg
    inside_the_gauge-3.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 784
  • inside_the_gauge-4.jpg
    inside_the_gauge-4.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 764
  • inside_the_gauge-5.jpg
    inside_the_gauge-5.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 763
I made a couple of those dowel wedged ones a couple of years ago. One with a pin and the other a pencil gauge. Only gauges I have made. They work very well and as said before its strange there are not more of them about. Perhaps the description as French put people off. No excuse now we are all enlightened so get cracking and make some.
The saying goes you can never have too many clamps and it is similar with gauges. Well you need a few anyway so you can have one on each setting needed for a whole project. Way better than trying to reset to the exact measurement you had before. A pencil one is always handy too. A few of my shop bought pin gauges have holes drilled in the other end of the stock for a pencil.
Regards
John

Latest posts

Back