Made in the UK - Startrite?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackswanwood

Still Learning
Reaction score
I am in the market for a new bandsaw and the Startrite 403 is in the pack of those I am looking at. Does anyone know if they are actually manufactured in the UK? All other things being equal I am keen to do my bit to support UK manufacturing.

I don't know about the newer models but if you give the guys at Startrite a ring they will confirm one way or the other. I've found them to be very helpful even though my bandsaw is at least 35 years old.

They're definitely not made in the UK, or even by Startrite as there's a bunch of "manufacturers" with the same identical machine but with very slight differences.

Startrite 403
iTECH BS400
Record Power BS400
ACM440

And I think there are a couple of others but I can't remember them off the top of my head.

As far as I'm aware the only one that could be called an actual manufacturer of machines left in Britain is Sedgwick and they unfortunately have never made bandsaws for some reason.

I've no knowledge of where Record Power/Startrite bandsaws are made, but I'd be prepared to bet that they're based on a generic design and most likely made in Taiwan.

I got a https://www.axminstertools.com/axminste ... saw-103472 on special offer a few months ago - it's a generic design made in Taiwan. It's very good too (certainly a step up from my previous, with a particularly good depth of cut)!

Trevanion":3duxhj7r said:
They're definitely not made in the UK, or even by Startrite as there's a bunch of "manufacturers" with the same identical machine but with very slight differences.

Startrite 403
iTECH BS400
Record Power BS400
ACM440

And I think there are a couple of others but I can't remember them off the top of my head.

As far as I'm aware the only one that could be called an actual manufacturer of machines left in Britain is Sedgwick and they unfortunately have never made bandsaws for some reason.

Thanks - after a bit of Googling it seems ACM are made in Italy. I'm going to give Startrite a call and ask them as Lons suggested above.

Woody2Shoes":31wu1ht0 said:
I've no knowledge of where Record Power/Startrite bandsaws are made, but I'd be prepared to bet that they're based on a generic design and most likely made in Taiwan.

I got a https://www.axminstertools.com/axminste ... saw-103472 on special offer a few months ago - it's a generic design made in Taiwan. It's very good too (certainly a step up from my previous, with a particularly good depth of cut)!

Thanks - I'm finding the Axminster price to features of their models difficult to fathom out. Your model and the 3327B are in the mix.

Heard the other day that Startrite will be disappearing as a brand, and flying under the Record Power name soon.

Mark.

I've had a Record Sabre 350 for a couple of months now and I'm well pleased with it. Its made in the far east but the quality is top notch with pretty much all the improvements people would do DIY to the BS350 already done from the factory - the bearings on the guides are very substantial.

The Sabre 450 would be worth a look IMO given the size you're shopping for.

I think one or two Startrites have the ACM badge if you look for the Italian sticker at the back, well they used to.
Wadkin's still making stuff (not sure if still in the UK though, and seems only 3 phase which is odd for a wee saw like that.
That E400 would be quite flimsy at 125 kg though.

The Italian machines that's not 400 but 440, or 540 are usually a little heavier grade of ACM frame.
Look up SNA vs the heavier SNAC in the range.
Possibly quite a bit more difficult to source tires for the snaC
Maybe akward, silly, expensive and difficult
(if you wanted it done yesterday kinda thing)

If you want British but still just about handleable...i.e no forklift needed.
Some of the Wadkin's, the Multico's or the Startrite's might be available refurbished.
Parts are normally interchangable like guides (Wadkin & Multico take GL456)
Look at ScottandSargeant for instance.

Wheel bearings are standard on all saws made these days.
V belts on machines of this size available at automotive or lawnmower places.
Nothing else to worry about on a bandsaw really.
I would still think I was being a good sport buying refurbished machine, or even buying the parts to restore one the same.

Tom

Ttrees":16cb3sav said:
I would still think I was being a good sport buying refurbished machine, or even buying the parts to restore one the same.

Tom

Thanks Tom. I am contemplating this as long as I don’t end up just buying another project that gets in the way of me doing woodwork.

While it won’t help get to the right decision it would be interesting to know who owns the design and how all the different manufacturers link together.

Wadkin don't make anything here, they're just badge merchants like the others as far as I know. AMS is based in an old cow shed off the A47 near me - sad to see how far the mighty have fallen....

For me, I'd buy an old wadkin saw and stick a 240v motor on it if you don't want the hassle of inverters. You'll have a much more solid machine and it won't drop money like a new one!

The Axminster machine is a dead ringer for the Startrite - looking at the Axminster blurb for their machine the "certificate of conformity" says it's made in Taiwan - so pretty probably the usual badge-engineered product.

As an aside - I've had a drive on the Axminster model and found it to be excellent (I bought a smaller Axminster bandsaw, again Taiwan)

Back