Machinist Chest

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I fell in love with this american Gerstner tool chest

machinist%20chest.jpg

Do you know whether it is available in the UK (or elsewhere in the EU) ?

Or maybe it would be an even better idea to build it up myself: by chance some of you friends has a plan ?

Thanks in advance
Cheers
Alberto

Hmm, let's try this:

machinist%20chest.jpg

Cheers, Alf

Edit You'd left out the "%20", Alberto. I think that's to replace the space in the file name isn't it?

That is very similar to the Old British made Moore & Wright toolmakers cabinet I used to have til I had to leave it with my brother in South Africa because it would have taken up more than half my luggage allowance on the plane back.
The only difference between them is that mine didn't have the opening top.
It only had the drawers.

Alberto,

I too have fallen for the Gerstner tool chests and was thinking about making one. Infact when I placed the timber order for my mirror I included a lot extra than I would need so I could have a shot at building one. The main reason for me making one is that the missus is starting to get a little bit sick of me having my good tools spread all over the house! My workshop has a little bit of damp in it and I don't like leaving all the expensive hand tools in there.

I have a little bit more info at home on the dimensions of these chests that Chris(waterhead) found for me one day whilst browsing the net. So I could send them to you if you wish, its not much but every little bit helps!

If you want we could build one togeather and share the ideas? I think it'll be a good project for me to do over the winter months.

SimonA
PS. I've just picked up the mirror for my mirror, if you get what I mean!?! So I'll hopefully be posting one of two more picks in the next few days, if anyones interested? :lol:

SimonA":3gp3yfk2 said:
I have a little bit more info at home on the dimensions of these chests that Chris(waterhead) found for me one day whilst browsing the net. So I could send them to you if you wish, its not much but every little bit helps!

If you want we could build one togeather and share the ideas? I think it'll be a good project for me to do over the winter months

GREAT proposal ! Winters in my place may be long and windy so... why not ? Look forward to whatever bit of help !
Cheers
Alberto

Although I see the carrying handles on each side of the Gerstner tool chest, my old chest had a spring back leather handle on the top.
To protect the wood from being knocked when putting things on tp (coffee cups and tools) I removed the handle and fitted a sheet of 1/4" vulcanised rubber then replaced the handle with longer screws to hold it on.
The removable front had a lock in the middle.
I fitted a sheet of brass along the full length of the top rail on this door and slightly countersunk some screw holes so the screws didnt go in all the way. This plate stood proud of the door top by 1/4 - 3/8" to prevent the door being levered off. Once the screws were in the heads were filed off so the plate couldnt be removed.
A yearly rub over with boiled linseed oil kept the chest looking as good as new after 10 years of daily use in a busy toolroom.

Cool, Alberto........I'll send you that bit of info and start drawing up some plans :lol:

I think Albertos will probably turn out to be a splendid chest and a wonderful piece of art wich will only take him a matter of weeks to make..........and mine, well mine will probably turn out to be a packing crate and take bloody months!!!! :p

SimonA

Guys,

There are plans in The Toolbox Book which'd help you a good deal. Veritas also do a plan IIRC. Also worth sticking "Gerstner" and "plan" (in various combinations) into the various tool fora, The Porch in particular.

Cheers, Alf

Blimey :shock: ,

Makes the bog standard, firewood, tool cupboard
i'm blunderbusing together at the mo' look great :roll: :roll: :roll:

TX

I have been after a M&W Chest since I was an apprentice, but that one looks better and of a suitable size I may well add it to mu tuit list

Bean

SimonA":rt2mvocz said:
I think Albertos will probably turn out to be a splendid chest and a wonderful piece of art wich will only take him a matter of weeks to make..........and mine, well mine will probably turn out to be a packing crate and take bloody months!!!! :p

Too bad ! I wish I could share your view ... :(

Most surely the other way 'round !
In any case... I wouln't dare to accept a contest !

First problem: chasing the hardware (I wouldn't start cutting ANYTHING before actually having ALL bolts and nuts in my hands). I saw something suitable at Lee Valley. Any better idea ?

Thanks
Alberto

Hehehe.....I do seem to be on a roll a the moment, but how long it'll last I don't know :?

As for info on the tool chests, I did a but more hunting around yesterday and have once or two things to past on......once again nothing much, but every little bit helps.

Most of these where taken from the Porch, cheers for the link Alf!

>>
Mine is 16" tall x 9-3/8" deep x 20" wide, and has 11 drawers. Three
drawers left and four right of a 5"x3" center drawer, over 3 full
width drawers. The top area is 3" deep with the cover closed.
Drawer heights are 1" (4), 1-1/4" (1), 1-1/2" (3), 2-1/2" (2), and
the 5x3.
<<

>>
Most all wooden chests are around 8" front to back inside each drawer. 1 1/4"
is the most useful height for drawers. In production, drawer bottoms are thin
sheet steel. For homemade, used aluminum road signs saw up just nice.
The whole ballgame lies in careful squaring of each drawer and the carcase
because the side drawer guides allow very little deviation for good operation.
<<

>>
Lee Valley has plans on p. 139 of most recent catalog,
item # 05L16.01. They also have locking spring pin
listed on the same page, item # 05E11.01. The latter
holds the front panel in place when the chest is
closed. No affiliation, etc., etc

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp? ... currency=2

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp? ... currency=2
<<

You can also get all the original hardware direct from Gerstner them selves.......I wonder if anybody could put us onto somewhere in the UK that stocks this kinda hardware?

SimonA

SimonA, great clues ! Especially the one related to drawer bottoms and road signs :D ! I reckon this is fairly enough stuff to (think to) start the project.

I will metricate everything and see which wood would be available here around (ideally chestnut, but I wouln't mind cherry or oak too).

First pics in 6 months time !
Cheers
Alberto

Alberto.....I'll probably make mine from Oak as I ordered alot extra the last time and I'm quickly coming to love this timber! Although I could do with out the tanin staining my hands!! Anyone else have this problem?

I think I'll probably add little bits of different timber to compliment the Oak and add interest to the chest. I was also thinking about trying some veneering or inlay work.

SimonA

Chaps,

You do realise we'll be expecting step-by-step, blow-by-blow accounts of this Tool Chest Challenge now? I'm greatly looking forward to it. :wink:

You really do need to get hold of The Toolbox Book you know... :roll: However, I found an article in "The Small Woodshop - Best of FWW" on making a chest more like the Moore & Wright type, which may be of interest to Bean. Also a small bit on something similar in "The Handyman's Book" by Paul N Hasluck, which is very galootish and worth having to read on any trip down The Slope you may be taking... I'm sure I've seen something else somewhere but so far my search has been fruitless. I'll look into it a bit more.

Cheers, Alf

.. without forgetting some twisted dovetails here and there ... :shock: !

Mamma mia !!! hasting home to start chopping asap !!!!!

Alf.....I don't know so much about a challenge, more like a friendly co-operation......

I have obtained a copy of the Toolbox Book today and will be having a little look at it tonight(hopefully) will also start drawing down some design ideas and layout for the chest. I'm also going to start measuring some of my tools just so as I know how big to make the drawers.

Any help on the hardware front would be great!

SimonA

Back