Machinery/ tool dilemma

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigs

Established Member
Reaction score
I wonder if you chaps could help my current issue.

After my bandsaw delivery, I find myself having a wee problem. I want a planer/thicknesser.... however with only a single car garage (admittedly quite a large one) I just don't have the room. Now im yet to experience all that my new bandsaw can offer however to make a planer/thicknesser fit...the table saw will have to go. now its only a bosch 10" which i made a little stand for.....but am i going to miss it? shall i just bung the current thicknesser and table saw in the for sale section and pull the trigger on an itech 260?

Cheers
Craig

In my book a P/T is ten times more useful than a table saw. I do have a table saw but I have plenty of space in various buildings. 99% of the time I use the tracks or handsaw.

Hi

You don't say what it is you are making or wish to do. You need to separate what you need from what you want and for me it has been wait until you cannot proceed due to needing for example a P/T. I had several items that were more important than a P/T, ie a good router table setup because I could buy PAR timber to get round the need for the P/T but could not get round the router. My tablesaw takes up to much space but for long rip cuts in 4 inch timber it is better than my bandsaw so it seems if space is tight we all face these issues. The ideal solution is more space, and make the machinery mobile so it can easily be moved when needed.

Put your machines on casters, this is what I do & have quite a lot of gear in a single garage but just move out each machine as I need to use it, also by lifting the bandsaw higher that the saw & planer as you cut timber on the bandsaw it passes over the other machines.

Hi

You don't say what it is you are making or wish to do. You need to separate what you need from what you want and for me it has been wait until you cannot proceed due to needing for example a P/T. I had several items that were more important than a P/T, ie a good router table setup because I could buy PAR timber to get round the need for the P/T but could not get round the router. My tablesaw takes up to much space but for long rip cuts in 4 inch timber it is better than my bandsaw so it seems if space is tight we all face these issues. The ideal solution is more space, and make the machinery mobile so it can easily be moved when needed.

So far mainly small boxes and tables in hardwoods which i now get from tylers (sawn), I have everything here on wheels to move around and it's all at the same height as my mft for infeed/outfeed if required. for sheet material I use a tracksaw,

Put your machines on casters, this is what I do & have quite a lot of gear in a single garage but just move out each machine as I need to use it, also by lifting the bandsaw higher that the saw & planer as you cut timber on the bandsaw it passes over the other machines.
the bandsaw is at 960mm....everything else is it 900mm on castors (y);)

In my book a P/T is ten times more useful than a table saw. I do have a table saw but I have plenty of space in various buildings. 99% of the time I use the tracks or handsaw.
its what im thinking, handy to remove bandsaw marks also

There was someone (Who I cannot remember, sadly) on here who said something along the lines "For every minute I spend on the table saw I probably spend an hour using the P/T" which is quite true.

There was someone (Who I cannot remember, sadly) on here who said something along the lines "For every minute I spend on the table saw I probably spend an hour using the P/T" which is quite true.
which means ?

I wonder if you chaps could help my current issue.

After my bandsaw delivery, I find myself having a wee problem. I want a planer/thicknesser.... however with only a single car garage (admittedly quite a large one) I just don't have the room. Now im yet to experience all that my new bandsaw can offer however to make a planer/thicknesser fit...the table saw will have to go. now its only a bosch 10" which i made a little stand for.....but am i going to miss it? shall i just bung the current thicknesser and table saw in the for sale section and pull the trigger on an itech 260?

Cheers
Craig

You say you already have a thicknesser so a planer thicknesser won.t take up much more room keep the table saw and buy the pl you will make it fit.

which means ?

Generally, you spend a lot more time prepping timber with planers than you do cutting it up with a circular saw. A saw is a nice thing to have but I could probably make do without one if I had to, I without a doubt wouldn't be able to survive without a P/T.

Generally, you spend a lot more time prepping timber with planers than you do cutting it up with a circular saw. A saw is a nice thing to have but I could probably make do without one if I had to, I without a doubt wouldn't be able to survive without a P/T.
that's my thinking

You say you already have a thicknesser so a planer thicknesser won.t take up much more room keep the table saw and buy the pl you will make it fit.

i think the difference in size between a lunchbox type thicknesser and a cast iron planer/thicknesser is considerable in a small space. right now my thicknesser doesn't really have a spot to live and im a bit of a neat freak so it bugs me. I wonder how much I would even use the small table saw considering I now have a bandsaw, and I also have a track saw and router table.

i think the difference in size between a lunchbox type thicknesser and a cast iron planer/thicknesser is considerable in a small space. right now my thicknesser doesn't really have a spot to live and im a bit of a neat freak so it bugs me. I wonder how much I would even use the small table saw considering I now have a bandsaw, and I also have a track saw and router table.

I all comes to the work you do I would keep the table saw get the pt and not bother with the bandsaw if space is that tight,

I all comes to the work you do I would keep the table saw get the pt and not bother with the bandsaw if space is that tight,
I specifically got the bandsaw with the capability of resawing wide boards, it also takes a lot less room than a decent size table saw. as I said I only have the bosch GTS 10, but thats a significant enough space where a PT could live

Make it fit.
I have a 3 x 5 metre workshop. I have a 350 bandsaw, a large (90cm square) router table, a mitre saw, a belt sander, and a table saw on casters all on one wall. I have a "lunchbox" thicknesser on top of a snap on type tool box on casters on the other side.
The bandsaw, router table and mitre saw are all set to the same height so i can run a 3 metre plank across any of them. The saw gets pulled into the middle of the floor when needed, as does the thicknesser.
The other wall has a 2.5 metre workbench.
It just needs a bit of planning.

I dont think i could do without either to be honest. I guess if I really really had to I’d lose the saw. But the bandsaw and everything else would go before those two!

I could not be without my planer thicknesser but I have managed in the past without a table saw, just using a bandsaw and plunge saw instead.

Latest posts

Back