machinery drought

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
whickhamwoodwork":1068ffla said:
Does anybody know a good tool/machinery supplier in the north east of England?

Nope - not anymore that I am aware of :cry:

Closest ones now I think are KendalTools and Cleveland Woodcraft, Middlesborough. I got so fed up looking that all my stuff is bought online now.

As an aside - Having been dragged kicking and screaming into Newcastle last week I made my escape from M&S and spotted a new store opposite on Northumberland Street called Clas Ohlson, where I could hide and browse the household chattels for half an hour and was surprised that it has a lot of interesting stuff including a decent tool department. http://www.clasohlson.co.uk

cheers

Bob

I'll have to look at that next time I get dragged into town.... I have a mate who deals in second hand commercial machinery who has some woody stuff in at the moment. What sort of things are you after?

Graham

I'm looking to upgrade my table saw. I've been using a Metabo Magnum 1256k for the last 10 years and now I have a bit more room I want something a little more robust.(the 1256k has been great and still is). 1ph and 3hp(min) with an arbour that can except a dado set and a pre score would be ideal.

Xcalibur saws from http://woodfordwm.co.uk/ are one of the few saws available in the UK that take a dado but it does not have a scoring blade. I reckon you might have to compromise on one or the other unless you buy old English cast iron.

Bob

I've had the 10" cabinet saw (806) for 5 years now and can't fault it. Several forum members also have this model and I think at least one has the 12" 5hp single phase version. All seem happy with them. I've never needed any support from Woodford but I believe Steve Maskery has been able to get a spare part in the past OK from them.
A pretty safe bet I reckon.

Bob

I don't know if you get over Scarborough way but there is a good outfit at
Snainton.It is called Snainton wood turners. They have a web site.
If you get there make sure you have a couple of hours to spare you will need it.
Willy.

Whickers,

http://www.kendaltools.co.uk/

Might be across country for you, but they delivered my Sedgwick Planer to Birmingham themselves. Although then I believe they had just started business.

Worth a punt?

Just checked on Google! Looks as if it might be a punt too far Whickers. It's 'Oop North' to me of course, but I didn't appreciate how far it was from you! Sorry m'man! Still they look well stocked. Trip over the Pennine Motorway perhaps?

Regards
John :)

Kendal is about 2 hours from me, the A66 is not a bad road,quite scenic in fact(when it's open as they shut it frequently in the winter!)
I'll probably swing by on my travels.

Many thanks
Matthew

whickhamwoodwork":1g6tcbzj said:
Kendal is about 2 hours from me, the A66 is not a bad road,quite scenic in fact(when it's open as they shut it frequently in the winter!)
I'll probably swing by on my travels.

Many thanks
Matthew
I bought my Sip saw from West Skelton Services, Dumfries a number of years ago. Not the most likely place as they sell and hire all sorts of stuff but were the cheapest I could find, more than helpful and a very quick delivery. Might be worth a phone call when you're ready to buy?

They were selling on ebay as well, can't remember the user name but something like WSS.

Kendal tools are mail order only now, but John who runs it is a really nice guy and could not be more helpful.

Like Lons I got the SIP saw I used to have from West Skelton Services.

Tom

9fingers":33f5k9mm said:
I think at least one has the 12" 5hp single phase version. Bob

Blimey Bob, that's quite a monster to run on single phase isn't it - 15 A+?

I assume it would need a dedicated MCB and heavier cabling than normal single phase?

It certainly dims the lights on start up!!

I expect it has its own 32 amp circuit and maybe with a type c breaker. Knowing the owner, he won't have done things by halves!!

I have the the 3hp version and that draws 22amps peak on start up but drops back to 11-12amps well before the 15amp re-wireable fuse reacts. The whole CU for my motor loads in the workshop is on its own 40 amp type C breaker in the house.
The ring main is a 30amp standard type B.

Bob

Back