Machine set up

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

South

Established Member
Reaction score
Some more help please, took some advice and brought some machines from that well known auction site. . As I haven't got 16 amp sockets wired up( thought I'd wait for the pro's) I am just cleaning and trying to set up. I purchase some engineering squares from rutlands but would now like to get a straight edge to test for
Flatness on p/t and table saw, I'm fairly happy with my bandsaw though.
Could anyone offer some
Recommendations please.
Thanks to Everyone so far for all ur help. Not going to be the last time....
Regards south

South":mam93nhg said:
I purchase some engineering squares from rutlands but would now like to get a straight edge to test for
Flatness on p/t and table saw, I'm fairly happy with my bandsaw though.
Could anyone offer some
Recommendations please.

I'm maybe missing some horrible notorious inaccuracy of off-the-shelf drafting rulers, but... well, I use an off-the-shelf aluminium or steel (depending on length needed) drafting ruler for that kind of thing, you can pick one up in any half-decent stationers or art supply place. I have a nice 30cm 1mm-thick steel rule that I use for short distances, but I'd use an aluminium one for anything longer, as longer steel rules tend to be quite thin and thus quite flexible, while Al ones tend to be formed into a profile that holds its shape better.

A good quality builder's spirit level is usually straight enough. Can also be used as a spirit level! Also is very convenient in that it is rigid and will stand on edge. Most rulers won't.

I'm with Jacob on this one. I hand selected a long level out of a batch down my local builder's merchants. But I ONLY use it for lining up machines etc. Got another one covered in dried cement for general work.

Latest posts

Back