Machine drills square holes in metal.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's pretty neat, isn't it? The method has been around for a long time.

I wonder how well that would work in wood with the right bit and speed.

When I read the title of this thread I thought someone wanted some help with sharpening drills, how wrong and impressed I was.

Yes Dave, I too am wondering if it will cut wood, someone out there will know.

I spoke with my brother who is a machinist by training and sells huge machines now. He's familiar with these cutters. He said they'd work but leave a fair amount of tear out especially in stringy wood like oak. I imagine, though, if the cutting edge was ground properly and the speed was right, it might do a nice job.

motownmartin":1ipfvbwp said:
Yes Dave, I too am wondering if it will cut wood, someone out there will know.

Roy Underhill demonstrated one on an episode of the Woodwrights shop, but I cant find the episode ?, the 'tech' has indeed been around for a long time, it works on the 'reuleaux principle' (oooh, cheese baguettes)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reuleaux_triangle

Sometimes drilling a hole in steel with a large drill [two flute] the tip will try to drill a triangular hole in a similar way until it it's fully in.

square holes in wood, i think that one has been done already................................................but i doubt a chisel morticer would work in metal. Nice vid, impressive really.

Back