Mac Virus/Worm

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read about this last week. The key point is "The worm required the user to download, decompress and execute the file then enter their admin password to cause any damage".
I think Apple are quoted as saying that is not a virus but malicious software.
Anyone daft enough to download, decrompress, execute and enter their admin password on an unknown file should be up for a Darwin prize - IMHO.

Andy

possibly true but unfortunately opening attachments sent by email (or clicking on embeded hyperlinks) is still a very comon way for malware to get on to machines :roll:

But the point is..even if it is an attachment and you open it..you still have to give permission for it to be run and installed. So if anyone does then as previous poster mentioned they deserve the Darwin prize..or much more sensibly their computer confiscated.

Agreed.

But to be slightly fair to the Mac community, the default setting within the Safari browser is to automatically download and open files :shock: (at least it was with my other half's)

Probably very obvious to a PC user, but so far Mac users haven't had to be quite so security conscious....

Obviously, I am only referring to pdfs / word docs etc and not anything application based which does require the user to enter their admin password etc

I must say we have become a bit complacement, having been immune for so long. Know what I will be nagging my colleagues about on Monday.

The general advice of avoiding downloads is as good as it gets.

Martin

Back