Mac problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippygeoff

Established Member
Reaction score
I have an i mac and a couple of months back my son installed the latest operating system, mountain lion. for some weeks I have had a problem when I go on the internet. I click on to a web site but then I cant use the back button to go back. I was looking at router reviews earlier and everytime I wanted to look at a new web site I had to go back to the home page and type in the request all over again and had to do this several times in order to look at all the reviews, it is so anoying and frustrating. Has anyone any ideas on how I can fix this. Many thanks in advance.

Its not something simple like using the pull down menu "View" and clicking on "Show toolbar" is it?

Bob

left pointing arrow on left side of toolbar (Chrome) and something similar on other browsers. Sometimes the key shortcut doesn't work but I don't know why.

Are you using the back button on the keyboard to do this or the back button up in the toolbar on your browser?

Which browser? I am guessing Safari.

Can you try a different browser such as Firefox on the same websites to see if it shows the same problem?

I am using the back button on the toolbar and in Safari. I have tried everything I can think of. I have gone to tool bar preferences but nothing there.

I had my imac updated last year and don't seem to have the same problem you're experiencing.
You know you can always go back using History.

Hi Roger. I am only using the one tool bar that is on Safari. All the icons are a dark colour except the back button which is a light gray and nothing happens when I click on it. I have to go back to the home page and type in again what i was trying to look up. I dont have the problem when I am on the forum, I can read a poast and then go back to the main page using the back button. Its the same when a member post a link to another site, if I click on the link I cannot go back to the forum using the back button. I have to go back to my Yahoo home page and type in UK Workshop again.

hi geoff
dont forget you cant go back while your are on your first page as there is nowhere to go to.. :lol: :lol:

Dont want to sound obvious..

If it is a light grey it sounds like there is no option to use that way?

Capture1-1.jpg

If it looks like the one circled in the pic, that means you cannot use that option. So you might need to work around it via settings? How are your tab setting set? or whatever they are called on a mac?

Not sure if you can do this? On my pc with firefox i can either open a new page in a new window ( which it sounds like what is happening to you) or i can open a page in the same tab, then i can use the back button/arrow to go back a page.
You might want to see if you can do something similar in safari? :)

Are you sure you don't have links sent to open in a new window? That would explain the greyed-out back button...
Otherwise, try command-clicking on a link to open it in a new tab.

HTH Pete

Latest posts

Back