M2 Screw? What bit please?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lenovo laptop, screws marked, e.g. M2 1.5
Guess 1.5mm long, but M2?

Where to find a (non cheese) screwdriver please, UK based.
I'm surprised that you are asking this question Dave. Have you not yet run my 3Wire program? You'll see M2 is 0.4mm pitch (Coarse series) but it depends what you really need to know.

The size & form of the thread (M2) will have little to no bearing upon which screwdriver bit you need, that is down to the equipment manufacturer and could be Slot, Pozidriv, Torx etc. - though I couldn't speculate which size.

I'm surprised that you are asking this question Dave. Have you not yet run my 3Wire program? You'll see M2 is 0.4mm pitch (Coarse series) but it depends what you really need to know.

The size & form of the thread (M2) will have little to no bearing upon which screwdriver bit you need, that is down to the equipment manufacturer and could be Slot, Pozidriv, Torx etc. - though I couldn't speculate which size.

I'm asking where I can find a screwdriver for these tiny screws?
Look like Philips, but my smallest wont turn them.

Thanks... More research, I found (and was surprised) that Philips goes down to 000!
Treated myself to an iFixit kit of drivers which includes that set - fair reports,
hoping they are reasonable quality.
I've watchmakers screwdrivers, a set of 'small' but it only goes down to 0 - hence I
(wrongly) assumed that was as small as it went!
Live and learn!

Thanks... More research, I found (and was surprised) that Philips goes down to 000!
That's why I was somewhat circumspect in my pervious post - PoziDriv only specifies down to 0 but I knew Philips had a 00 - didn't know about 000.

pe2dave said:
Live and learn!
Every day's a schoolday 👨‍🎓

For most computer work I have a set of Wera Precision Screwdrivers - I use the 12 set, but there is a larger 24 pack available. Links:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wera-Screwdriver-electronic-applications-05073675001/dp/B009ODV0PI
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wera-Kraftform-Micro-Big-Pack/dp/B07X7JSBHG
I would also recommend you get a magnetiser, if you don't have already, because those tiny screws are a PITA when they fall inside a computer (as me how I know!)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wera-05073403001-Magnetizer-demagnetizer-52/dp/B000XIZN9C

I think you may find they are Torx T5 headed screws as used in Dell and other laptops. Take a look at the head with a watchmakers glass to make sure. Any particular reason you want to get access inside the Lenovo?

Phew. Vessel (I'd not heard of them).
Full set, down to 0000 then two more! All JIS (from the description)
In my experience it is always more economical to buy from Amazon.jp. The English version is not 100% but still navigable. Delivery is quick to Italy, about 4 days and taxes are prepaid. Vessel are a common brand on Amazon.jp.

I think you may find they are Torx T5 headed screws as used in Dell and other laptops. Take a look at the head with a watchmakers glass to make sure. Any particular reason you want to get access inside the Lenovo?
It appears to be a JIS (appears to be similar to Philips), but made in Japan.
In my experience it is always more economical to buy from Amazon.jp. The English version is not 100% but still navigable. Delivery is quick to Italy, about 4 days and taxes are prepaid. Vessel are a common brand on Amazon.jp.
Now that's a new idea! Thanks for that.

It appears to be a JIS (appears to be similar to Philips), but made in Japan.

Now that's a new idea! Thanks for that.
€50 shinwa rule was a quarter of the price, many of the tools are. The shipping is not inexpensive, usually around 1500 Jyen but tha includes duty and taxes.

Latest posts

Back